Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 500ho. Is that a good deal for the break in service? Fluids changed, new filters, inspection, and everything greased?

Was also quoted the same for the 300awd

Would usually do it myself but time is harder to find than money right now, plus this seemed more than fair to me:nixweiss:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Our dealer includes the first service with the sale of a new atv. If they are charging you $80 for oil etc..., that seems like a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
very reasonable if my dealer charged that I would bring it to him instead of doing it myself

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Great price..... but does that include valve adjustment too? Which I belive is part of the first service on a 400/500 machine?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They charge a rate of $35 labor for break-in service or preseason service on all Sportsmans. The remaining $45 is for the fluids/parts.

EDIT: I doubt it includes a valve adjustment. This is Hi-Way Service in Hankinson matt.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Okay, I know exactly where that is! :D ;)

So should the "Valve Adjustment" be done at break-in service?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
According to my Owners Manual the Valve Clearance should first be checked at 100hours or 1,000 miles whichever comes first. I'm at about 25 hours/220 miles.

EDIT: I also have some zerk caps I'm bringing and asked if they could slap them on since they are greasing everything and the guy said no problem. That way I know they more than likely greased everything.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Okay, thanks for the verification..... I just remember on my 800 it didn't need to be done (hydro lifters), so I performed the first service myself. But if no-time vs. money is your problem.... that's a great price!!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Normally I'm a DIY man but for $80 I figured hell that doesn't sound bad. Not knowing when I'd have time to do it and wanting to possibly ride this weekend/next weekend having someone else do it became VERY appealing. Figured I'd see what you guys thought.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That is a great price. The oil change kit alone is $35. If you add in diff and trans fluids to that it is about $65 in fluids alone. I'd let them do it all too for that price, and I do a lot of full service fluid changes and checkups.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder how they are even making money at that price then:ponder:.....They can't get me in until next Tuesday a.m. that's how busy their service dept. is. Said both machines will be done Tuesday after lunch.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
great price

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Man that is an awesome deal. I took my two 850's in and it was $450 for the two machines. Man I feel like I was just dated by a 300lb prisoner.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What is the required break in time? I've heard anywhere from so many miles, so many hours, and etc?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My manual says 25 hours or 250 miles.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just to clarify here to the OP, your saying for that price they change engine oil, oil filter, grease it, change tranny fluid, change front diff oil, and rear diff fluid out the door for $80 bucks then your dealer would have to be losing money I think?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to clarify here to the OP, your saying for that price they change engine oil, oil filter, grease it, change tranny fluid, change front diff oil, and rear diff fluid out the door for $80 bucks then your dealer would have to be losing money I think?
Hey Cubby, OP here. I agree, it just doesn't add up to me. I'm thinking they change the oil and filter, grease everything, and CHECK the other fluids. I am going to call them again tomorrow to clarify this because I'm thinking we may have misunderstood each other. My manual says that the trans/diff fluids dont get changed out until 50 hours, and I inquired about the break in (25 hours) service

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yea that's what my dealer said, my first service was 75 bucks and they recommended the fluids be changed shortly after that but knew I will take care of my service now that the first check is good, except for the valves I don't mess with that LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts