Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly sure where my build thread should go but thought here would be OK since the quad needed so much in the way of repairs. I started with a 2005 Sportsman 800 that i got off Craigslist for $800. It ran fairly good and the trans/diffs were in good shape so i thought i would take a chance. Below is a list of everything done since i brought i home.
1. New wheel bearings all the way around.
2. New tie rod ends and serviced the steering stem.
3. New suspension bushings all the way around.
4. New brakes all the way around including a new rear master cylinder (someone had modded the system so they had separate front and rear brakes...great idea, just caused none of the brakes to function properly. It wouldn't slide the wheels on gravel no matter how hard you tried.) Back to stock...brakes work perfect!
5. Complete fluid/filter change...greased all the grease fittings.
6. New shifter bushing.
7. New lug nuts/studs.
8. New front cover for storage box (busted from an over turn and holes from a snorkel kit).
9. New light bulbs all around.
10. New spark plugs.
11. New throttle cable (part of the reason in getting it so cheap was due to the cable hanging up...affected the throttle so much that it couldn't be ridden.)
12. 2 New CV boots.
13. New front axle hub (mine had broke at the collar that rides in the bearing).
14. New throttle cable bushing at the throttle body (somehow managed to loose the original one when i disassembled everything).
Now for the used parts...Everything came from a local guy in western NC...he is VERY reasonable on prices and sells on EBAY as well if anybody is interested. PM me for his cell and he can direct you to his EBAY stuff or he can do credit card orders over the phone if you need to have anything shipped. I think he sells new after market parts as well. He buys used and disassembles to sell parts...also repairs quads too. Great guy...really helped me out.
1. Used front/rear plastic...i had these painted Red by my Brother who runs a Restoration shop.
2. Used rear rack assembly.
3. Used rear caliper.
4. Used headlight and bezel/pod.
Now for the parts/piece's i repaired...
1. Repaired the front lower storage box that had been busted due to an over turn...and had holes from a snorkel kit. Fiberglass repair kit from Advance worked wonders!
2. Straightened steering stem and handle bars due to an over turn.
3. Straightened rear rack support bar due to an over turn.
4. Added/welded support to the front bumper...apparently the winch has more force than the bumper can handle.
5. Added stainless screws in place of nearly every plastic fastener on the body panels.
6. Repaired fuel sending unit with one from a 1990 k1500 Chevrolet tk.
7. Repaired/welded rear bumper.
8. Cleaned radiator inside and out.
9. Disassembled fan and greased the non-grease able bearings.
10. Repaired switch/wiring for the rear work lights.
11. Repaired the brake light wiring.
12. Built custom heat shields for the exhaust.
13. Replaced oil dipstick tube oring...bad oil leak there.
14. Repaired the valve cover breather box...bad oil leak there also.
15. Repaired the CV belt/clutches...they were bad out of line which caused the belt to constantly grab which caused a hard to shift situation.
Now, the mods i have made.
1. 2 up conversion...seat from a toro zero turn mower complete with arm rests, custom built rear fender guards, rear rider foot rests, rear rider grab bars and right/left rear storage boxes. The cost on this was $28 plus my time ($14 each on the tool boxes from Lowes), i had the steel and the seat was a freebee score. Much better, safer, and sturdier than $350 for an aftermarket seat/box.
2. As mentioned above...i built and added heat shields to the exhaust because it already had plastic melt issues, plus my kids will be riding this and safety worried me and i will be using it in alot of slow speed situations where the exhaust will make alot of heat.
3. As mentioned above, i used stainless hardware to reattach everything i could...those plastic clips just seem to cause me way to much headache.
4. As mentioned above, i repaired the fuel sending unit (my wife and kids will be using this so running out of gas 2 miles up the side of the mountain on the backside of nowhere because the fuel gauge doesn't work wasn't a story i want to hear..lol) If you have a non-existent fuel gauge because of a bad sending unit...this may be the fix for you. See this link....http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/146409-2005-2007-sportsman-800-fuel-sending-unit-repair.html
Now, the things i plan to do...
1. New HD springs for the rear...my wife and i weigh a combined total of 450lbs...the tired original springs are less than capable. Planning on a set of EPI HD's unless someone recommends otherwise. Also, if you have used the EPI's on this specific quad...your input would be welcomed, i'm still wondering if they would completely correct sag with that much weight???
2. I plan to build a few cup holders, cell phone holder, fender flares and a quick attach front box.
3. Attachment point for my DIY snow blade that i have from a previous quad.
4. The quad came with a 2" lift which i may remove depending on how bad it is on CV joints and whether the new rear springs completely fix sag or not.
5. Aux LED lighting.
6. Temp gauge (as this thing seems to run hotter than the 2001 500 i had) and possibly oil pressure gauge.
7. New ignition switch and key...mine works fine but somebody pulled the black plastic cover off the key and cut the ears off the key (i could only guess the reasoning was because the steering stem got pushed back during the over turn and hit the gas cap..lol) My goofed up key make it hard to start for the wife/kids.
I do have 2 questions for those who own 800's...
1. I have a clicking noise from inside the engine once its warmed up...previous owner said it had always made the noise. I would guess something to do with the valve train or timing chain. Should i be worried about the noise? I hear the same noise on YouTube from other 800's but still, my 500 didn't do that. It may be nothing but i'd rather hear what the pro's have to say.
2. When the quad is cold, it has a hesitation off idle and will sometime (rarely) die. Its not that bad, just aggravating. I adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help some but its still there. Its almost like it runs to lean when cold...kinda like a carb model if you push the choke off to soon. Thing runs great otherwise! Any ideas on which way to head on this would be appreciated.
I will attach pictures in my next post.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to upload "before" pictures maybe because all i have on my computer are screen shots from the guys texts. Anyway, it was a mess! All the plastic broke, racks broke and hole sawed, and dirty from front to rear!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing i would like to do is have the passenger seat match (atleast as best as possible) the front seat. The only way i can think to do that would be pull the rear seat cover and have a custom cover made locally...any ideas on this are appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are the only two "befores" i have...sorry for the size and quality...they are screen shots from the guy i bought it from. Not sure why i didn't take my own before pics???

·
10,351 Posts
1. I have a clicking noise from inside the engine once its warmed up...previous owner said it had always made the noise. I would guess something to do with the valve train or timing chain. Should i be worried about the noise? I hear the same noise on YouTube from other 800's but still, my 500 didn't do that. It may be nothing but i'd rather hear what the pro's have to say.
2. When the quad is cold, it has a hesitation off idle and will sometime (rarely) die. Its not that bad, just aggravating. I adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help some but its still there. Its almost like it runs to lean when cold...kinda like a carb model if you push the choke off to soon. Thing runs great otherwise! Any ideas on which way to head on this would be appreciated.

1) The ticking (unless very loud) is normal for those engines and can be heard more on the right side of the engine. There is no timing chain. That engine has push rods and hydraulic lifters.

2) Your hesitation issue is the TPS. They get dead spots in them and get out of adjustment causing the symptoms you describe. Also, clean the throttle body thoroughly. Clean the TBAP with MAF cleaner and check the wire connections for both as it is very common for the connectors/wires to break.
There's a bunch of threads here and on the RZR forum about this issue.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I too always like to see things brought back from the dead. Nice work! As for your seat color, you can get spray on fabric dye and get it close to the front seat color. Automotive retailers should have it since that is the purpose. Might take some work to get the cammo pattern, but it can be done.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1) The ticking (unless very loud) is normal for those engines and can be heard more on the right side of the engine. There is no timing chain. That engine has push rods and hydraulic lifters.

2) Your hesitation issue is the TPS. They get dead spots in them and get out of adjustment causing the symptoms you describe. Also, clean the throttle body thoroughly. Clean the TBAP with MAF cleaner and check the wire connections for both as it is very common for the connectors/wires to break.
There's a bunch of threads here and on the RZR forum about this issue.
Thanks for the help!! Got her running great tonight. I did clean and readjust the tps...used the specs and procedures i found for it but ended up fine tuning by ear. Even on factory specs it still didn't run perfect. I will say...the tps is a VERY sensitive piece!! The slightest change in adjustment makes it run terrible! Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too always like to see things brought back from the dead. Nice work! As for your seat color, you can get spray on fabric dye and get it close to the front seat color. Automotive retailers should have it since that is the purpose. Might take some work to get the cammo pattern, but it can be done.

Good luck with your project!
Have you had good luck with the dye? I know cleaning and prep are key but will it be fairly durable? Never used it before is why i asked. Thanks for the advice!
On a side note...a friend mentioned ordering a seat cover for the quad seat just like the one on there now and then have it custom sewn to fit the rear seat. Any thoughts on that process???

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I have never personally used the dye. I think it's available from Duplicolor so it should be good stuff. The pro car builders use it to change the color of interior panels and seats that are not available from the aftermarket either at all or in the color they need. Like you said surface prep would be the key there. Guessing you could probably do the dye job yourself in a few hours for a lot less $$ than a custom seat cover. Probably a body shop supply place could give you guidance on what you need to do.

Either way you decide, please post some photos!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick update. This week has been crazy busy but i did get the new HD rear springs from EPI ordered and a new ignition/key switch ordered. Everything should be here by mid-next week so i will post results once these things are done! Love working on this thing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got some unexpected time to work on a few things today. The new ignition switch came so i put that in. Notice the old switch that had a trimmed key...lol! Also, had a chance to build and install the new mount for my home made snow plow. Everything was made from scrap so no cost except my time. We don't have a terrible lot of snow here so not something i use more than a few times a winter. It is nice to keep the parking area and side walk clean though. I did over build the mount that goes on the quad. Its built out of 3 by 4 heavy wall box tubing with 3/8 mounting points. I attached it to some mid mounts that were already welded to the quad when i got it. This mount is made in a way so that it can be hard mounted in the front for use with front mount stuff like my snow blade or it can be left loose in front so it pivots at the mid mount point in case some future implement works better that way. I wanted a front mount snow blade set up because some places around here require the blade to lift fairly high. But then i hope to build a set of forks and a dirt bucket for the front at a later date...these two things may work better as a mid mount. Anyway, we made good progress today and the rear springs should be here by mid week. I'll get a few pics up once the springs are installed. Hope everybody has a safe/happy weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't get any pics of the rear spring install...we ran short on time. I will say that the new EPI HD springs made a huge difference. I haven't ridden it yet but we did mount up to see how they worked out and they were AWESOME! I would recommend these to anyone adding weight to the rear rack area. I added a seat from a TORO zero turn, two tool boxes and my wife...these springs handled it great!! To give you an idea of the added weight back there...i'd say the seat added 25lbs, my wife and i are in the 450lb range together and the tool boxes probably a few pounds. Before adding the EPI's the quad would just about bottom the springs...now, its like riding one-up with no added rear weight. And, i really don't think they will add any large amount of harshness to the ride quality. While i was at it...i put snow plow front rubber spacers in just to add some stiffness to the front as well. All in all...with the 2" lift, new rear springs and front spacers...it really looks MEAN! Can't wait to get it out for a ride later this week!
I'm thinking about adding oil pressure, engine temp and volt gauges at some point just to be able to monitor things. If anyone has advice on gauges/install...please feel free to enlighten me. I have searched a few threads on doing this and i think there's a company that sells a ready made kit...that may be the way to go even though it seems a bit more expensive than coming up with my own setup. Anyway, best wishes...and if your own the Eastern Seaboard, keep a watchful eye on Hurricane Irma!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts