Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 sportsman 800. I weigh about 300 pounds and the poor machine squats quite a bit to the point that my tires are wearing uneven. I want to replace the rear springs with something heavier but would prefer to stay with polaris. I think from a little research that an 08 ranger 500 spring should be a 200 pound spring compared to the stock 100 pound in the sportsman. Do you guys think this will be a direct replacement for one and enough of an increase for two?? The 700 ranger spring is rated for 240 pounds but I think that is over kill. Thank for any and all information.

·
9,419 Posts
Why would you want to stay with a Polaris spring and try to match up something that may or may not work?? Why not just get a set of EPI or HL heavy duty springs made for your machine and forget about it.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Why would you want to stay with a Polaris spring and try to match up something that may or may not work?? Why not just get a set of EPI or HL heavy duty springs made for your machine and forget about it.
If he finds a set, chances are that HL or EPI cant beat the price. $75 for a pair of hd springs for the front from Polaris.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The touring model rear springs are Polaris "heavy duty" springs, but I don't know the exact rating on them. Personally, if you know the 240 lb Ranger spring will fit, I believe I'd go with that. You're a big man...just sitting still. Get a little gear on the machine, and then bouncing around on the trail...I think the 240 lb spring will work wonders for the machine. JMHO.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I put High Lifters on my 800..... other then being "yellow" (Hello!), they are great. (Which can easily be fixed with a shot of rattle can black or color of your choosing!!) But the yellow was a nice accent on my Red machine.... since I replaced all 4 corners. Which is something I might advise, if not you'll be going the fronts sooner or later too!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
who makes the highlifters, are they just new springs or the whole shock, and if springs what rate did you get?

·
Registered
959 Posts
who makes the highlifters, are they just new springs or the whole shock, and if springs what rate did you get?
You can get them either way. The springs by themselves are yellow, but I don't know who makes them, and their exact rating isn't listed on the Highlifter site. I will say this, they look identical to the springs sold by SuperATV, and SATV are a little cheaper AND they list the ratings.

I recently put a new set of SATV springs on my RZR (with the stock, crappy shocks) and it made a WORLD of difference in the handling. My Sportsman needs a set of front springs, and I'm pretty sure it will end up with a set of SATV springs under it also.

·
Registered
316 Posts
how hard are the springs to change out

·
Registered
959 Posts
Not terribly hard. The rears are really easy, the fronts can be a PITA because of the strut. If you get lucky, you might just be able to pull the tire, unbolt the top of the strut, and drop/maneuver the strut without having to pull it off. If not, the entire assembly has to come off.

Either way, when you get them off, it's ideal to use a spring compressor and the springs come right off. I use 2 "endless loop" ratchet straps. Loop through one on each side of the spring, and ratchet down evenly, just enough to get the spring retainer off. Take off the spring, put the straps on the new spring, ratchet down evenly just enough to get the retainer back on. It's not hard, just takes a little effort, and about 20 minutes a shock.

I just looked on SATV's site. For whatever reason, they didn't have the springs listed for the Sportsmans. I might to have to call and see if they still carry them. If not, then a set of Highlifters will be going on the front of my Sportsman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had epi front springs on my 04 700 and absolutely hated them. They were too long and it made my strut top out on every bump. They were a terrible ride all around. Besides that I checked epi and can only find a 140 spring which I don't think will be enough.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Ive got a large hard box on the back of my 850, probably has 75-100 lbs in it , high lifters are set on softest setting , handles the weight fine,

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Who makes the spring? Honestly,I don't know.

Are they New Springs or the Whole shock/spring assembly? I purchased just the HD springs to install on my factory shocks.

Spring Rate? If I remember right.... they are about 25-33 lbs higher rating then the stock springs, which I asked the rating during a phone conversation with them. Great people and easy to talk too... give them a call to check for sure. And if I remember right from my research the Highlifters had a sightly higher rating/stiffness then the EPI's by 10-15 lbs each.

how hard are the springs to change out
Pretty easy if you have any mechanical ability at all.....

Rears = Pull the tire, unbolt upper and lower shock bolts, conpress spring, pull retainer and reverse the process.

Fronts = Pull the front plastics or storage box (far easier to gain access, and on your 2008 it's just the storage box - even easier then the newer 2011+ models!!), pull the wheel for the weight factor and support the strut with a bungee or strap, loosen top retaining nut, pull assembly down - rotate out (you understand as you do it), slip on new spring and reverse process!

Straight forward and pretty easy! :fing02:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts