Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short. Traded fro a 2006 sportsman 800. AWD worked well on wet grass and slick mud. First time a tried to climb out of the mud pit the front right wheel stopped turning and started clicking when it hit hard dirt trying to pull the bike up the bank. Figured it was the diff basket, so I ordered it with new armature. When parts came in I tore the diff down and found zero problems inside. Good rollers, basket, armature, bearings. etc. Replaced the basket and springs anyway. Put it back together and had same problem. Figured the front right axle splines must be worn letting the hub slip. Replace with new alxe. Same problem exits. I have invested over $350 in the frontend and solved nothing. Has anyone ever had to replace the output hubs in the front diff ? 3000 miles on the quad. The new hubs are $450 if I replace both.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Could be either the wheel hub or differencial splines?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
do you have play in the hub/axle connection? It strikes me that that joint should have very little play and you would feel if the splines were shot. Why not take the hub off the other side and throw it on the right side and see it is still the same. If it goes away you have your answer.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheel hub is fine. There is more slop on the side of the diff that works than there is on the side that does'nt. It points to the diff output splines but I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before I pull the diff again. I mea at less than 3000 miles, it seems odd the splines would be that worn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts