Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased an 08-800 sportsman. it goes through 4 gallons of gas in under 30 miles. it's brand new. the dealer says the computer says all is well. he also says it has a 6 gallon tank. my book says 4 gallons. is anybody else out there getting 7or 8 miles to the gallon with an 800. my 400 would run all day on half a tank, my 800 goes about 14 miles on half a tank. please tell me this is very wrong. thanks for listening-jc323

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
just a though. you say u just bought an 08 sportsman so i am assuming this thing is brand new under 25-50 hrs ect. if that is the case, everything is really super tight in the motor and tranny. after some time, all the moving parts will develop a unique wear pattern between themselves and thus total engine friction will be reduced, making it easier for the motor to move the entire machine. since everything has a tolerance, every motor is not perfectly identical, which means every engine will have its own unique break in time and fuel comsumption. i would give it time. get a 100 hrs on the machine and then recheck fuel mileage. by then it should go up some

·
Registered
121 Posts
i just purchased an 08-800 sportsman. it goes through 4 gallons of gas in under 30 miles. it's brand new. the dealer says the computer says all is well. he also says it has a 6 gallon tank. my book says 4 gallons. is anybody else out there getting 7or 8 miles to the gallon with an 800. my 400 would run all day on half a tank, my 800 goes about 14 miles on half a tank. please tell me this is very wrong. thanks for listening-jc323
I bought a used 2007 Sportsman 800 efi in Jan. It has about 550 miles on it and I just had the 50 hr service done on it about a month ago. I'm starting to ride iot more now and am finding out what a gas hog it is. I filled it up and now have 22 miles logged and only have about 1/4 tank of gas left !!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE ATV's ??????? If that's all the better gas milage they get then I'm selling it ASAP ! I hate to think what those new 850's get !

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dirt Wheels mag says the 850s get about 65 miles per tank.
I guess I'll find out soon.
I will be mounting a fuel pak on it permanently!!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It depends on how your riding and how much your in 4 wheeldrive and if your in hi or low. the 800 and 850 are gas hogs but if your woried about gas milelage get a 500. I just went 50 miles on smooth trails and used 3/4 of a tank so the mag is correct if your running smooth trails . as soon as you shift to low or fourwheel you can cut that in half.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bikes are awesome in almost every respect except mpg. I have an 08 800 with 50 hours and it's a serious gas hog. You I have a 4.3 gallon tank and the low fuel light came on at 29 miles. My buddy has an 850 and he seems to get a little better mpg because his engine seems to run at lower rpm's i'm guessing. A fuel pack will be your friend.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a 2008 800 Touring with a 6 gallon tank. I get between 15 and 18 mpg, depending upon riding conditions. Sloppy mud, low gear and 4wd will all reduce it along with full throttle starts. Don't base your mpg on fuel gauge, mine always goes down 2 bars real quickly. I think it has something to do with the shape of the tank. The guage will only be linear if the tank is a vertical cylinder, which it is not. I have gone over a 100 miles on a 6 gallon tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 800 Touring with a 6 gallon tank. I get between 15 and 18 mpg, depending upon riding conditions. Sloppy mud, low gear and 4wd will all reduce it along with full throttle starts. Don't base your mpg on fuel gauge, mine always goes down 2 bars real quickly. I think it has something to do with the shape of the tank. The guage will only be linear if the tank is a vertical cylinder, which it is not. I have gone over a 100 miles on a 6 gallon tank.
First how did you get a 6 gallon tank? Is this a 2x bike? Second I would love to know how you are getting 18 mpg. I couldn't get that much out of my 800 if I pushed it. I do hard starts but I seldom go mud running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2005 800 and love the punch that you get from hitting the throttle! But I've tried every style of driving to conserve fuel and increase economy with it. Premium fuel, clean filters, well greased, tires at recommended pressures but it's still a gas hog. My friends driving 700 Yamahammers get by on half the gas that I do. Most of the trips that I take are 50 to 125 miles long and that means a gas pack with an extra 4 gallons. Long trips have me hauling 2 gas packs.

Now I'm selling the 800 and considering a 550XP just because of the fuel mileage. I'm gonna miss that punch and it worries me that a 550XP just won't satisfy my need for power. Guess I should see how others are doing with 550's before I plunk down my buck$$.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thats sounds about right, my 08 800 goes about 50-60 miles on a tank, my 850 goes about 65-75 miles depending on how agressive I ride. Also my 850 revs alot more than my 800. Just crusing around smooth trails around 30mph or so, my 850 is revving around 5200 rpm or so and when I slam the gas she hits 7400rpm almost instantly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just wanted to add something to this old post. Just did some riding last weekend and going this weekend. Have 09 800 Touring this has a 6 gal tank. We put on 100.5 miles ran out of gas at 96.4 miles, figured out mileage when I filled everything back up and got 18.25 mpg. So with my tank and a kolpin 4 gal can I can get around 150-170 miles on. Which is great, was really worried when i got wheeler was going through a tank in 40 miles but i was also pulling with it. Most of trails were long stretches at 50 mph but mostly stayed around 30-40 mph. Excellent machine love it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Would clutch kit help MPG?

Also my 850 revs alot more than my 800. Just crusing around smooth trails around 30mph or so, my 850 is revving around 5200 rpm or so and when I slam the gas she hits 7400rpm almost instantly.
Wondering would a clutch kit help mpg at all?
I don't quite understand how the clutches work, but from reading the site some clutch kits engage at lower rpm's. If this is so, would higher speeds be at a lower rpm as well, thus possibly saving gas?

·
11,641 Posts
You guys need to sell me those old gas hogs right cheap and getcha a old 300 Honda if you're worried about mpg. If you want to jerk a half ton of machine and rider up 60 degree hills and rip trails at warp speed there's a price to pay in fuel....as the old saying goes...If ya gonna play ya gotta pay!
Another thing to consider is the percentage of alcohol in your fuel...way less mpg and hard on your machine to boot!
I get about 60 miles per tank out of my 06 800 and consider that to be pretty reasonable given the amount of adrenaline rush I get doing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 2007 800 x2 with 65 hours on it & carry a 4 Gallon Roto Pack on the front & a 2 gallon in the back for long runs. If it wasn't for the great ride I would be on a Honda.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I love the excitement and not cryin bout mileage at all. But I guess if I'm getting 100 miles on a tank with myself and my wife on (I am 6'3" and 200 lbs wife is about 150 lbs) with a 09 800 Touring I guess I feel pretty good then

·
Registered
203 Posts
love my 500 good on gas and it flys

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2005 sportsman 800 and last weekend i literally used an entire tank of gas, right from the top of the tank all the way to the bottom. I went 76.4 miles and it ran out of gas and shut down (i must be the luckiest guy around because it died in the gas station parking lot). when i hit about 55 miles it said i had two bars left on the gas gauge and i rode on those two bars all the gas station and until there was literally no gas left. What really scares me though is that my fuel light only came on about 30 secondes before it died. Does anybody know when it is supposed to come on, i heard it is supposed to come on when you have half a gallon left but i clearly didn't as i had nothing left.

Anyways the 76 miles i did had a mix of tight wooded trails, mud, slow technical climbs and descents and wide open roads. I do have a k&n airfilter and a heelclicker clutch kit and stock tires (to be reaplced very soon) The bike has around 2500 miles so it is very worn in and all the fluids were changed about 100 miles before that ride.

IDK what gas prices are where you guys are but where i live its about $1.02/1L. IMO $16 is a lot to only go 75 miles when you compare it to the compition but i guess that is what you get when you have that much power.

Anyways, thats my experience with gas miliage. Hopes this helps give people an idea of what the 800's fuel limits are.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thats the same thing I did from the top of tank to bottom I ran out at 98.2 miles FUEL started blinking at 72 miles figure about a gallon left. Gas is $2.79 gal in normal gas stations and $3.25 at some places along trail. I am glad this machine came with the 6 gal tank.

Johnny Jaws
hey what does your 500 get for mileage is it alot better or right about the same. Trails we usually ride are mostly wooded trails some long stretches of open, some on road, and there are some play areas thrown in. Trails are also used as snowmobile trails in winter.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a 2005 sportsman 800 and last weekend i literally used an entire tank of gas, right from the top of the tank all the way to the bottom. I went 76.4 miles and it ran out of gas and shut down (i must be the luckiest guy around because it died in the gas station parking lot). when i hit about 55 miles it said i had two bars left on the gas gauge and i rode on those two bars all the gas station and until there was literally no gas left. What really scares me though is that my fuel light only came on about 30 secondes before it died. Does anybody know when it is supposed to come on, i heard it is supposed to come on when you have half a gallon left but i clearly didn't as i had nothing left.

Anyways the 76 miles i did had a mix of tight wooded trails, mud, slow technical climbs and descents and wide open roads. I do have a k&n airfilter and a heelclicker clutch kit and stock tires (to be reaplced very soon) The bike has around 2500 miles so it is very worn in and all the fluids were changed about 100 miles before that ride.

IDK what gas prices are where you guys are but where i live its about $1.02/1L. IMO $16 is a lot to only go 75 miles when you compare it to the compition but i guess that is what you get when you have that much power.

Anyways, thats my experience with gas miliage. Hopes this helps give people an idea of what the 800's fuel limits are.
76 miles dosen't sound bad. 50 and 60 are borderline low. I ride for about 130kms every weekend so that would be about a full fuel tank for 3-4 hours of riding. Thats double of what I spend on my honda witch is half the ccs

1 - 20 of 55 Posts