Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, how is everyone liking the 850's?

I just bought a new 2013 850 EPS (leftover) and kept my faithful old 700efi as a backup.

1. The first thing I noticed is how much higher I am when I sit on it. It feels like I'm sitting on TOP of the bike. That means I'm more likely to tip the thing over than the old design. I haven't measured the difference yet but it is obvious.

2. Who thought a skinnier seat was a good idea?
Do you walk into a bar and seek out the skinniest bar stool you can find?
Of course not. The 700/800 seat is more comfortable especially if I'm riding double with my girl. (I know it's wrong, but it's never been a problem for me in 20 years)

3. The EPS creeps me out at high speed. At 40-70mph I'm scared to sneeze. I'll probably get used to it but I prefer the lazy steering on my old 700 where I could easily sit there and one-hand it in the same situation and have a sip of my beverage.

4. The rear rack space is smaller so when I slide back and put my girl up front my lower back hits the rear storage bag. This was never a problem on my old 700, it's roomier.

5. The power increase is decent but I thought going from roughly 50hp on the 700 to 77hp would be huge. Doesn't seem like it to me. I'd be curious to see an 800 versus the 850 performance-wise.

6. I've got a nice tank bag for the 700 that holds my tasty beverage on the left side and the center gas cap helps hold it in place nicely.
Without the help of the gas cap I'll probably need to drill some holes somewhere to fasten on a tank bag/drink holder?

7. It's hard to see how fast you're going with the digital speedometer flipping numbers constantly. Combine that with the fact that I don't want to divert my eyes off the trail for even a millisecond with the twitchy EPS.
Analog gauges are better that's why race cars have them.

I do like the suspension on the 850 better. I REALLY like how you can pitch the 850 into a turn and the back will slide around almost like a solid axle quad.

So I like it...but I'm not blown away like I was expecting.
And I swear if that EPS bites me in the ass even once and I live to tell about it I'm selling it and getting an 800.

I was just curious to see what other folks think. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's a pretty thorough review you gave. I'm sure a fellow 850 owner will chime in.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well I don't have an 850, but i do have a 550 with eps. I love the narrow seat. Coming from motorcross bikes it felt natural. The value lines fell like you are sitting on a horse. I stand and ride a lot too, it is more comfortable with your feet closer together than spread out.

Not sure how to ask this but WTF, how big is your ass? I find there is plenty of room with me and my daughter on the seat. My back does not even come close to the rear bag.

You can find a holder for your beer that attaches to the the handle bars.

I think I've been over 50mph only a few times. You are right, it does feel a bit squirly. The trails I ride are slow going. If I ever need to go that fast I'll get on a motorcycle or back in my truck.

I've never had an issue with the digital display. I really only use my instrument cluster to see how many miles I've ridden after a ride. I do like analog gauges better.

Get yourself a clutch kit and you'll get some of that pep you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
you shouldn't feel your eps at all past about 35 to 40 miles an hour.. It is a dynamic system which means the assist decreases the faster you go.. At 40 miles an hour the system should be pretty much shut off with no assist at all.. I loved the power steering on my 850 touring and the industry pro's have all pretty much proclaimed the polaris power steering to be the best in the biz.. In my time on this forum I actually can't recall anyone ever saying they didn't like the power steering on an xp.. If its twitchy at speed I wonder if something is wrong with your eps.. I've also never heard of someone not liking the narrow seat.. To each their own and its for sure a personal preference thing so I can't criticize you for not liking it.. Ya' like what'cha like!.. I rode my bud's 2011 arctic cat for an hour last year and man did I miss the seat on my xp.. Again.. personal preference.. The engineering in the xp is so vastly different than your 700, I wonder if the issues you're perceiving are largely due to being so used to the feel of your 700.. Some more time and miles in the saddle and I think you'll love it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not that it matters,but I own a Brute 750 - all my buddies own Polaris'. My buddy let me ride his 2013 850 Sportsman XP,I did like the quad,the power,the smooth ride,but I could not stand how smooth the power steering is,and while riding,I could not help to think that with the power steering,it always felt like the tires were turning in on themselves like a tie rod was broke - not a good feeling. I also had rode his previously owned XP Sportsman 700 - the 700 platform was much more enjoyable to me.Even my other buds sportsman 500 is pretty sweet to ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Badonkadonk

@ChickenHawk. Haa! Well, Ambercrombie isn't calling but I don't have a HUGE ass. I'm 6-3 250lbs and wear a 38 size jeans. I rode dirtbikes for many years too before I got my "old man quad" as I'm told.

Now my girlfriend's butt...that could be suspect. It does seem to be getting bigger over the years but as long as it doesn't eclipse my butt in size I can't complain.

Seriously though... I just think if I took random people into the garage and had them sit on both they would say my old 700 is more comfortable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beer holders

I've tried several of them and the ones up on the handlebars catch the wind and you end up slowly wearing it if you exceed 30-40mph.

The ones down by the tank out of the wind are the only way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eps

Okay, so the EPS turns off at speed. hmm...

I've only ridden it this weekend so maybe it's just me and I need to get used to it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've tried several of them and the ones up on the handlebars catch the wind and you end up slowly wearing it if you exceed 30-40mph.

The ones down by the tank out of the wind are the only way to go.
I can see that happening. This? tons of different kinds out there. I use something similar for whitewater rafting.

·
Registered
679 Posts
@ChickenHawk. Haa! Well, Ambercrombie isn't calling but I don't have a HUGE ass. I'm 6-3 250lbs and wear a 38 size jeans. I rode dirtbikes for many years too before I got my "old man quad" as I'm told.

Now my girlfriend's butt...that could be suspect. It does seem to be getting bigger over the years but as long as it doesn't eclipse my butt in size I can't complain.

Seriously though... I just think if I took random people into the garage and had them sit on both they would say my old 700 is more comfortable.
Classic!!

Value line more comfortable? Could be for some, but not me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
850 gone lemon from day one

2010 850 xp new in 2010 0 miles on atv 300 miles new ball joints and hub check engine light 3 month check light on 3 months again check light on shift handle bushing went bad check light on again 700 miles ball joints again THIS BIKE WAS USED ON EASY TRAILS polaris no help went old school 06 800

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^^ a+ grammar.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
You asked what others think, so here's what I think.
I think you bought the wrong machine for you.
I think the steering on the XP is enough better so that even with the assist off at higher speeds, you are feeling like it is still there. Mine shuts down around 35-40, on the rare occasion that I go faster than that.
I think the seat on the non XP machines is better fitted to those who have more to put on it.
I think almost everything you say you don't like about the XP are things you could tell without ever riding it, so ... :hmmm:

·
Registered
668 Posts
The 700s had about 44 hp. The older 800s were about 48-50 (depending on the source), 2011 up is about 53. Line them up where both machines get traction. There is no contest between an 850 and the 7/800s. Not even a race. The smaller twins are very torquey and are fun to ride because of it. I found the XPs don't need EPS with the anti kick back steering. They are both good bikes to own. You have to look for things not to like on either.

Here is a link to the older bikes HP.

Big Bore Utility ATV horsepower ratings - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. I did a lengthy 213 mile run last weekend with the new 850 and my friend took the trusty 700.

I'm used to the EPS now and I like it...lots, I have adjusted to the light steering. With that being said even with the bike turned OFF (yes, key out) you can just walk up to it and push the bars full-lock back and forth MUCH easier than the 700. It's not a matter of speed activation, the steering is just much lighter all the time: period

I like it now, but after 10+ years of muscle memory it's kinda scary retraining your brain at first. When I jumped back on the old 700 it felt like I was wrestling it. So yall were right. I just wanted to post this in case others like me were out there. You'll get used to it and really really like it after some time in the saddle.

I got a polaris fender bag for the right side next to shifter and if you're riding solo and don't put much in there and not adding a passenger it's okay. My knee was nudging the can of sun screen in there on occasion which wasn't a big deal but if you wanna ride with your lady not so much.

Since I did a long range run I bought the polaris/ogio soft rear pack and it holds a decent amount of stuff but covers part of the rear seat. I had a few (petite) girls that wanted to get a quick lift to the general store. I told them to jump on the 700 with my friend. There just isn't room on the 850 like the value line bikes.

The taller center of gravity thing I can't officially report on until I go crawling somewhere tough.

Nobody is convincing me the seat is better. Next party I have I'll get a dozen unbiased people of all sizes and gender and no experience sit on both and get their opinions. Hell, I'll take video and put it on youtube. No way it's more comfortable.

The digital speedo is okay now that I'm less terrified by the EPS and dare take my eyes off the trail momentarily.

So anyways, I'm just posting this to maybe help anyone who was searching this stuff prior to purchasing like I was.

Cheers.

I'm going to keep the ogio bag for big runs and try a kolpin maxtrix bag for the tame stuff. They look small enough to where I can scoot back and

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Good to hear that you are enjoying your XP now. It is a totally different ride than the value model machines. Some day you may get used to the seat as well. After 3000 miles, it doesn't bother me anymore. I too prefer the older style seat, but it wouldn't fit this machine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are the 850's really that much faster than the 800's? I'm not trying to be smart just purely asking. I rode a 850 at the dealership last year and compared to my 800 it didn't seem a lot stronger on takeoff than my 800. Maybe the higher horsepower makes more of a difference on the top end than the bottom. I did like the narrower seat of the XP as I also came off of MX bikes and sport quads. I went with the 800 in 2011 because of a few different reasons. Number one was the almost $3500 difference in price tag, the 850s seem to be having problems with puking oil into the air box, but I believe that has been fixed, and I heard some talk of possible crank problems on the newer engines, again I believe no problems now. I also figured the 800 had been around longer and would be more reliable. I may have been wrong especially if you have read my threads on my engine being rebuilt twice within 700 miles of new. I will say this, if and when I "need" a new machine it will be a 850. I think they are great machines. I really don't think you can go wrong with any Polaris. Probably just depends on your budget and what you are looking to get out of your machine.

Bottom line I love my 800 but my next one will be a 850

·
Registered
454 Posts
Having had snowmobiles for a long time, the 850 seat does seam really narrow. We'll see how it is when the sleds get put away and the 850 finally sees some action.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Are the 850's really that much faster than the 800's? I'm not trying to be smart just purely asking. I rode a 850 at the dealership last year and compared to my 800 it didn't seem a lot stronger on takeoff than my 800. Maybe the higher horsepower makes more of a difference on the top end than the bottom. I did like the narrower seat of the XP as I also came off of MX bikes and sport quads. I went with the 800 in 2011 because of a few different reasons. Number one was the almost $3500 difference in price tag, the 850s seem to be having problems with puking oil into the air box, but I believe that has been fixed, and I heard some talk of possible crank problems on the newer engines, again I believe no problems now. I also figured the 800 had been around longer and would be more reliable. I may have been wrong especially if you have read my threads on my engine being rebuilt twice within 700 miles of new. I will say this, if and when I "need" a new machine it will be a 850. I think they are great machines. I really don't think you can go wrong with any Polaris. Probably just depends on your budget and what you are looking to get out of your machine.

Bottom line I love my 800 but my next one will be a 850
I think the 800 may be a bit quicker right off the line, but the 850 just never quits pulling. For whatever reason, the throttle response is quicker on the 800.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts