Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Idel speed cam be adjusted. My 850 is ideling at 1180 RPM spec says 1200 RPM. Can I do it or do I need to take it to the dealer.:ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never thought to check the spec on mine. It idles at 1180 also, as do a couple others I started to listen to. Just my opinion and not based on fact, 1180 is close enough. Yes?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I bet if you check your specs in the manual again it will say xxxx RPM +/- some other number. There is no way to adjust it to keep it pegged to that level of precision because there are too many variables.

An EFI machine's idle speed is controlled by the ECU and cannot be adjusted without special tools. Many folks think the throttle cable adjustment is for idle but it shouldn't be used for idle. It should only be used to adjust freeplay.

Stew

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Actually you can adjust your idle as stated in my wife's 550 service manual it is highly advised against because it is set with the ECM as well an can screw your fueling way up. Her 550 idles at 1700 rpm +\- 100 rpm so i would say leave it be!

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts