Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 SPORTSMAN XP 850 H.O. EPS. I recently purchased a Lock & Ride Front Cargo Box and installed it this past weekend. The next part may be hard to explain so bear with me. I installed the box and its held onto the frame by the (2) lock and ride anchors I guess Ill call them where the old front rack use to sit. The box I would say is very secure on the rubber latch side where those anchors are located and doesnt move at all. However the front of the box (hinge side) / front of the machine I am able to lift the box a couple of inches above where it sits. Should I be able to lift the front of the box and inch or two, or did I miss something that keeps the box more secure in the front? I can take a picture if it would help anyone visualize what I am trying to explain.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
I have a 2014 SPORTSMAN XP 850 H.O. EPS. I recently purchased a Lock & Ride Front Cargo Box and installed it this past weekend. The next part may be hard to explain so bear with me. I installed the box and its held onto the frame by the (2) lock and ride anchors I guess Ill call them where the old front rack use to sit. The box I would say is very secure on the rubber latch side where those anchors are located and doesnt move at all. However the front of the box (hinge side) / front of the machine I am able to lift the box a couple of inches above where it sits. Should I be able to lift the front of the box and inch or two, or did I miss something that keeps the box more secure in the front? I can take a picture if it would help anyone visualize what I am trying to explain.

Thanks
You missed something. On the front of the box, left and right, just outside the radiator supports; there are two "slide-in, metal hold-downs". They slide into sockets on the ATV frame. Tip the box up, slightly, at the rear and it will slide into the sockets on the frame when you get them lined up.
Those are a very nice, secure, box. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
What Phil said. undo the lock n ride anchors, when sitting on machine, lift up the box a few inches where the latches are and then you can slide the hinge side into position at the front of machine. once it hooks in you should know right away that it is now seated right. Then you can set the rest of it down in place & latch the lock n rides in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I quickly tried to get the front cargo box on after I got home from work with no luck. I see where it needs to attach in the front but I can't get it. It acts like the plastic front around the lights are interfering with the box and I just can't quite get it far enough forward to go in. Any other tricks I could try?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a question, did you ensure the model of the front cargo box was for a 2014 850, not a different model in case there are differences. I don't know if there are any between model years as mine came with one, but is the part # the proper fitment for your year?

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Just a question, did you ensure the model of the front cargo box was for a 2014 850, not a different model in case there are differences. I don't know if there are any between model years as mine came with one, but is the part # the proper fitment for your year?
The front lock 'n ride box I have came off my 2010 550 and went right on my 2015 850.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might have to wiggle it a little, but eventually it will slide right in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think those T slides on the btm of box may adjust and held on by a bolt. The T part should be facing forwards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you put the right mounts on the front of the box the parts bag with you new box comes with 2 style of mounts you want the plastic ones not the metal ones

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It did come with additional hardware but I didnt think I needed them because it only said something about 09 and 10 model years.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Here you go, this is the hardware you need to install to make it work. Hope this helps:veryhappy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Here you go, this is the hardware you need to install to make it work. Hope this helps:veryhappy:
Good PICs. That's strange, because when I bought my box in 2010 it was all set to go - didn't have to do anything for hardware.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of that factory rack - it comes in handy if/when you want to fabricate a custom front box. Just build it on the rack and you got a quick-change setup. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pictures should be very helpful. Did those plastic pieces that say FWD just snap into place? If not how do they get secured to the box?

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
This PIC is of mine (taken of the box while upside-down and from the front. They are metal. This box was on my 2010 550XP and is now on my 2015 850.

There are four peices there. A screw, two "clips" and a washer, that are adjuisted so the clips fit into the piece that is slotted on the front of the machine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This PIC is of mine (taken of the box while upside-down and from the front. They are metal. This box was on my 2010 550XP and is now on my 2015 850.

There are three peices there. A screw and two other "clips" that are adjuisted so the clips fit into the piece that is slotted on the front of the machine.
I just got the 15 850 SP and those front clips were not installed.
Can you post that picture again,I just got my box and there were no instructions for the front clips. I really cant tell what goes where and what order they go in .I cant tell by looking at Burton's pic either

·
Registered
892 Posts
each pack contains small 2 metal brackets one is about a 90 degree the other has a slight curve .there is the screw, a rubber bushing,and a metal spacer that goes in the rubber bushing(I assume) and then the plastic clip that has forward
stampped on one side

·
Registered
854 Posts
My box came un assembled also. The large flat tabs need to be facing towards the front of the box so they slide into the slots on the front of the Quad just behind the front fascia bumper area.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
each pack contains small 2 metal brackets one is about a 90 degree the other has a slight curve .there is the screw, a rubber bushing,and a metal spacer that goes in the rubber bushing(I assume) and then the plastic clip that has forward
stampped on one side

There are four peices there. A screw, two "clips" and a washer, that are adjuisted so the clips fit into the piece that is slotted on the front of the machine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts