Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal.

I had to get a new frame for my '13 850 XP HO.
I was riding it shortly after I got it back after the frame replacement and noticed that my overflow bottle was a little low. I topped it off maybe a little bit to much.

Either way, now about 150 miles later it is getting close to the low mark on the bottle again when cold.

This is obviously not much of a loss, and I may be worried about nothing.
Is this normal?

The oil looks perfect and I haven't seen a coolant leak anywhere.

Could it just be that it spews a touch when it gets hot. Never had an overheating problem?
Maybe it normally runs pretty low in the reservoir when hot?

Unfortunately, I only had about 80 miles on the machine when the frame had to be replaced, so I don't know if it could have been doing this prior to frame replacement.
Bike only has about 280 miles on it. I am not a mud runner. I have fun on it, but don't abuse it at all…to much money!

Also there is some white clear-ish junk kind of suspended in the coolant that is in the reservoir. I sucked a sample with the wife's baster and put it in a bowl…it isn't metal or anything, just some algae type junk.

Is this normal? Silicate maybe? Corrosion inhibitors that have separated?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would love to do more testing, but my warranty is up an about a week, so I wanted to get some opinions.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
So here is the deal.

I had to get a new frame for my '13 850 XP HO.
I was riding it shortly after I got it back after the frame replacement and noticed that my overflow bottle was a little low. I topped it off maybe a little bit to much.

Either way, now about 150 miles later it is getting close to the low mark on the bottle again when cold.

This is obviously not much of a loss, and I may be worried about nothing.
Is this normal?

The oil looks perfect and I haven't seen a coolant leak anywhere.

Could it just be that it spews a touch when it gets hot. Never had an overheating problem?
Maybe it normally runs pretty low in the reservoir when hot?

Unfortunately, I only had about 80 miles on the machine when the frame had to be replaced, so I don't know if it could have been doing this prior to frame replacement.
Bike only has about 280 miles on it. I am not a mud runner. I have fun on it, but don't abuse it at all…to much money!

Also there is some white clear-ish junk kind of suspended in the coolant that is in the reservoir. I sucked a sample with the wife's baster and put it in a bowl…it isn't metal or anything, just some algae type junk.

Is this normal? Silicate maybe? Corrosion inhibitors that have separated?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would love to do more testing, but my warranty is up an about a week, so I wanted to get some opinions.
Scrap it and buy a Kymco.....lmao

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I can always count you to give good advice Vandal!

You gomer…You have a value line, stay out of the big boy threads!
:lmao:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Maybe it had air in the coolant system. Top it off again, see what happens.

On the other issue,,,,If it's really cold where you're at and the bike was cold when you ruined the baster, maybe the antifreeze congealed some. Get a sample to room temp.

Vandal. I have two 09 Kymcos (AC 300 DVXs) with many miles on them. Zero, absolutely zero issues. Great runners too.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Losing coolant isn't normal. I would get a pressure tester and see if if the system is holding pressure and rule that out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

On the other issue,,,,If it's really cold where you're at and the bike was cold when you ruined the baster, maybe the antifreeze congealed some. Get a sample to room temp.

Vandal. I have two 09 Kymcos (AC 300 DVXs) with many miles on them. Zero, absolutely zero issues. Great runners too.
Thanks fly…Shhh, the baster is not ruined…Lol
It is really cold here, so that could be it!

I saw a review on DirtTrax TV of a Kymco 500, and they gave it really high marks!
I don't really see any around here, but that does't mean jack, because most around here think if it isn't honda it's junk!

Thanks again…Keep the opinions coming guys and gals.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Losing coolant isn't normal. I would get a pressure tester and see if if the system is holding pressure and rule that out.
Thanks, is a pressure tester for this application something I can get at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Wow, I can always count you to give good advice Vandal!

You gomer…You have a value line, stay out of the big boy threads!
:lmao:
Gomer maybe, but I'm a gomer that has a value line that doesn't lose coolant....Goober....LMAO

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Fly, I wasn't knocking Kymco, just trying to get him on a reliable machine. Those big bore guys have no sense of humor...lol

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My 500 likes the level to be a little below the low mark. If I top it to the line it spits some out, back to the same level as before. Your machine might be doing the same. ? ? ?
Not sure about the floaties.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 500 likes the level to be a little below the low mark. If I top it to the line it spits some out, back to the same level as before. Your machine might be doing the same. ? ? ?
Not sure about the floaties.
That's kind of what I am thinking and hoping on the level.

Thanks Clinebo…BTW I voted for you on the recent photo poll! Love that 500.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks TMan!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curious to hear some more opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, you COULD top it off again. tape a baggie, etc to the overflow tube, ride that bitch, see if it's a " spitter " like clinebo's.

Or keep it at it's current level, ride that bitch, see where it's at.

I bet Clinebo has it right. With your warranty about to expire, make sure.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you can get it pressure tested at advanced auto....or maybe rent one..they charge you when u bring it back the give your money back..its free to rent tools there they just get a deposit is all....I had to get a slide hammer to get the rear axels out....worked like a champ..see it they have a pressure tester .....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious to hear some more opinions. Thanks
How low does it get?
When I topped it off it was right around the low mark or just below. I topped it off at about 110 miles. I went a little over the full line on accident now at ~275miles I noticed it is getting close to the low mark again.

I gues I was kind of wondering there is any semi-common issue on the 850 that would cause this, as I am really close to out of warranty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can get it pressure tested at advanced auto....or maybe rent one..they charge you when u bring it back the give your money back..its free to rent tools there they just get a deposit is all....I had to get a slide hammer to get the rear axels out....worked like a champ..see it they have a pressure tester .....
I will check with the parts store. Thanks Al!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts