Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do y'all think this would give the 550 a better sound with the 850 having dual outlets vs the 550's single.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Never thought about the sound, But have considered it to be a little bit of a power gain with the two outlets. No friends of mine with 850's have upgraded there stock muffler so I dont have one to try out. If you do get one keep a check on your spark plug to see if it makes the 550 run a little leaner. Keep us posted if you have any luck with this

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to find one reasonably priced to try it out. I just hate to throw alot of money and not get any change.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why not just add another exit on the stock muffler. A welding shop should be able to do that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that would be pointless there would be no internal baffling going to the outlet and would probably cost more to have it done than what a used muffler will run.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^^^^^Ditto^^^^^^

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got 2 850's already this is my 8yr old sons bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the 850 muffler will mount up to the 550 without doing any mods? I looked at mine they look the same but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Take one off and try it. It's not hard to do. With a cheap spring puller you could know in about 5 minutes if you have both machines right there.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Take one off and try it. It's not hard to do. With a cheap spring puller you could know in about 5 minutes if you have both machines right there.

Over the years I've just used weed eater line to remove the pipe springs on my sleds

·
Registered
312 Posts
I even take a hook of a black rubber bungee cord and use that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep hes been riding since he was 4. He rides my 1000

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yep hes been riding since he was 4. He rides my 1000
God forbid but you do know that if he gets hurt on any of those bikes and has to go to the hospital that there is a very good chance that you are going to have to answer questions from DSS. You could spend time behind bars. Not trying to tell you what to do, but just be careful

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I agree with Rooskey...Each their own but you are playing a hand full of bad jokers on this one. I know the law here in WV even sees that they would cover you up faster than you can blink. Be safe!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have to admit... I cringe every time I see little kids 5-10 driving 800+cc mountain sleds on the trails.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, playing with fire and gas. I am not gonna doubt he doesn't know how to ride, just needs to be on something he can get off of him when he flips it on top of him. Most 8-10 y/o could get from under most 90cc up to 150cc quads; wiggle from up under..... Ect.....not gonna happen with a full size utility quad. My kids ride also, just be careful.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
In mn you have to"fit" the machine you are riding. That means both feet touch the for boards and there is approx 3" between the seat and crotch when standing. Hand levers need to be no farther away than second knuckle when operating with thumb hooked around grip. A few other little things too. And also under the age of 12 you can't ride anything over 90cc. I think the 90 thing is kind of dumb, but are completely on the fit requirement. I know my kids can ride much better than the law allows them to, but unless your 8 year old is about 5' tall there is no way he can safely operate and control a machine that size.

The laws here even apply on private property, so my 11 year old can't even back one of my machines out of the garage for me. And you can't have 4 people piled on the rack and seat putting around the yard line I see a lot of people do. Giving a group of kids a slow ride around.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He's been racing since he was 5. I've seen him out ride grown men on his KTM 80 when they were on 250's. I trust his judgement and his very tall for his age 4' 10" right now 80lbs he has no problem touching the footpegs we're fixing to move him up to a 125cc class.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts