Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on any flow improvements by putting a factory 850 muffler on a 550?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing? No thoughts at all?

Oh well......

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Would guess the aftermarket companies have general designs and may fine tune on the dyno with popular machines....and with little to no gains from $200 aftermarket mufflers whos sole purpose is to "increase" performance...and dont. Well, i doubt much if anything would happen going from a 550 stocker to an 850 stocker...and who knows, may just be same muffler with different hangers or different angeled inlet (or something little but enough to warrant its own part number in the catalog) like the dual outlets vs the single

Just a hunch

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Would guess the aftermarket companies have general designs and may fine tune on the dyno with popular machines....and with little to no gains from $200 aftermarket mufflers whos sole purpose is to "increase" performance...and dont. Well, i doubt much if anything would happen going from a 550 stocker to an 850 stocker...and who knows, may just be same muffler with different hangers or different angeled inlet (or something little but enough to warrant its own part number in the catalog) like the dual outlets vs the single

Just a hunch
it looks as if the only difference is that the 850 has the dual outlet and after checking actual part numbers, it is showing the 850 muffler for the later model 550s? it could just be a mistake on the polaris website but i'm curious if they switched over to the 850 muffler or not?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 850 muffler would be more restrictive if anything.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 850 muffler would be more restrictive if anything.
Don't understand how that would be. If the muffler can handle 850cc, 550 should not create a restriction.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Faa, found this courtesy of google, fun read. Basically same thing i did with my harley screamin eagle pipes on my ultra to make it sound more like a harley.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-xp/21413-modified-my-stock-850-exhaust.html

Just googled "inside polaris sportsman xp muffler"
That thread is for an 850 but im betting the farm the only difference between the stock 550/850 muffler is the addition of the second outlet.....so you could easily just get a small piece of pipe, hole saw a hole and weld/paint to get same result visually...prolly sound a little deeper too.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the link. Really not wanting to get any louder, that is why I am avoiding the plethora of slip ons. Just want to remove a bit of restriction.

Factory 550 muffler outlet pipe area is 1.81"
Factory 850 muffler outlet pipe area is 2.46"

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Yeah that big gun i put on mine was ridiculous and didnt last long before the packing blew out of it. I even bought the restrictor baffle and that helped some but still wasnt nice to listen to all the time.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was going to buy one until I heard one a riding buddy put on

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Good thing ya heard it before wasting your money

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I added the 850 muffler to my 550. Does sound a bit better, a but lower tone. Little to no increase in db, just sounds deeper.
Runs great, will run a few hours and stop and check the spark plug. Would expect this will lean it out just a tad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts