Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
850 SP transmission

I just got a 2017 850 SP after years of riding my friends ATVs. This is by far the newest I have ever ridden, all of his being 2005 and older. On all other ATV's I have seen when you push the throttle the ATV starts going immediately. On this 2017 850 the transmission does not engage, forward or reverse, until the engine RPMs are at 2150. Is this normal? What concerns me a little is that if you push the throttle too hard from a stop the ATV will jerk into gear. i want to make sure i am not damaging the ATV.

·
8,882 Posts
They've got a little higher engagement of the primary clutch. When the belt is cold its a little more noticeable... not so much once warmed up. Just take off easy until warmed up and you should be fine. It also helps to let the machine warm a few minutes before taking off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also have a 17 850SP and notice the lag, but mine is mainly due to the larger tires I have on it. Does your have factory tires and wheels? If so, then it's as polman says and it's due to the cold belt but you shouldn't notice much once it warms up. If you have larger tires, then start saving for a clutch kit, that's what I'm doing :grin

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2015 (700 miles) and have harsh engagement. Im getting used to the hash engagement but I really don’t like the “slap” when I let off the throttle and when engagement in reverse. Anyone know if this is “normal” for these machines? I hear mechanical noises that seem “harsh” to me but experienced Polaris owners are familiar with these sounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My sportsman cvt noises are nothing compared to my brute force
Neither one has had an issue yet.
So I just keep riding them. I used to worry about it too, but now just figure it’s come with the territory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Speedracer - If the harsh, high rpm engagement continues, maybe you should consider a clutch kit to lower the primary engagement rpm. And where did the 2017 come from? How many miles/hours and do you know how it has been treated?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phil - i bought it off of eBay. from a guy that, looking at his selling history, sells a lot of this type of equipment and most of it being Polaris. it had 540 miles on it, i do not remember the number of hours. it was in pristine condition when i get it, only a small nick on the seat.

other than this high engagement, which i am learning is normal, it runs flawlessly.

the engagement is not bad or something that i cant get used to, but it was just unlike that 4 ATV's my friend has i was a little concerned. i am no more.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
On this 2017 850 the transmission does not engage, forward or reverse, until the engine RPMs are at 2150. Is this normal? What concerns me a little is that if you push the throttle too hard from a stop the ATV will jerk into gear. i want to make sure i am not damaging the ATV.

I have a 2017 850 bought new. Cold clutch engagement starts at 2150 and fully locks at 2200, and about 100 RPMs less when hot, so yours seems normal.
And yes, if you jam the throttle it will engage quite abruptly (you are revving the engine and dropping the clutch, just like an old drag racer).

Thumb finesse will reward with smooth starts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts