Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else havin belt problems on there 850 I just got mine in march and at 1000 miles the belt just broke without warning well yesterday at 1400 miles I heard it slapping inside the housing took it off it was fraied up the first belt was oem of course and the second belt was a highlifter dht. Just seems to me somethin must be wrong I know it shouldn't b that hard on belts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Do you use high range below 15mph? Idle in neutral much? Both are severely hard on belts.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Also look at CVT alignment. If it is off it will wear belts faster. Also like I just found check you engine mounts. When bad they allow the engine to move and this allows torque to be applied to the sides of the belt, prematurely destroying it.

Idleing in gear will "hourglass" the belt and could damage your sheaves too. It will also lead to its distruction.

Many agree your best belt is a stock factory product.

CW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run it in low when needed or at least I think I do. I don't know bout the mounts they shouldn't b bad it's only 5 months old the clutches may be out of alighnment idk how to tell really?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check your sheaves make sure they are smooth along the whole sides.

The factory one did OK according to some.

Maybe you got the next one backwards. I think they are one way but not sure. Maybe you just got a bad belt?

Did you use a pry bar to put the belt on?

Some say not to use after market others say not to use factory.

I run the piss out of my 850 and I weigh 300+ pounds. I never use low range. It is too slow and too jumpy. It only takes a tiny bit of throttle and my belt is hooked up.

I just asked my dealer about belts and he said the 850s are doing well. Not sure what that means.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a jumpy creeping issue with my original belt but that was my fault for riding around in high under 12 mph and screwing up the sides of the belt. Changed it out, drove right and never had another issue.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree 10-12mph more realistic BUT you need to use common sence too. Heavy loads or steep inclines will or should use more lo range.

Belts should be installed so you can read them as you install. You should open up the secondary for easy removal.

Age of the machine means NOTHING. The belts you blew up where new too right?

Go check your mounts!

CW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went and felt the clutches one of them feels like its got just a little burr on it idk if it would be enough to make a difference what would be the best thing to smooth it down with? As far as the high an low I just use my own judgement of when to use it but since the first belt Ive tries to use low more that didnt seem to help

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A scotch brite pad or 320/400G wet dry sand paper is what I use. Remember you want to create a ''tooth'' for the belt to get a little grab on the sheave so sand form center to outter edge. 90 degrees to the belts travel.

Anytime your running with a heavy load or traversing a technical section of a trail slowly you should be using LO range. Traveling slowly up a grade say 15mph or less you should be in LO range.

CW

·
Registered
460 Posts
:dito: What he said! :dito:

·
Registered
553 Posts
3,000 miles on my 09 850 on the original belt no issues. I use low range if my speed is going to be less then 10 mph for an extended time. I ride trails and the dunes mostly and some use pulling a small trailer around the yard.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
I haven't had any belt issues in 2700 miles. I rarely use low, mostly only when rock crawling. I pay no attention to my speed to determine when to use low range. It's just a seat of the pants thing. I will putt around for miles at less than 5 mph while in high, as long as there isn't a load against it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't had any belt issues in 2700 miles. I rarely use low, mostly only when rock crawling. I pay no attention to my speed to determine when to use low range. It's just a seat of the pants thing. I will putt around for miles at less than 5 mph while in high, as long as there isn't a load against it.
I do the same, and did the same with my Ranger...I think a big difference is I do not run huge tires...My ranger had 26" bighorns vs the 25" that came stock.

I try not to exceed more than 1" over stock, and I have never had a belt issue. Just my .02

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm only runnin 27s I know a belt is not gonna last for ever but they should get service than what I'm gettin out of them. I think the little burr prob has somethin to do with it my belt should be here tomorrow

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Do you use high range below 15mph? Idle in neutral much? Both are severely hard on belts.
I thought you were supposed to let it idle in neutral or park, not in gear.
Park is best, but I think its a miss type as you are correct. Idling in gear is bad, neutral better and Park just fine. ;)

CW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts