Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a chance to get into 13 550 eps from my 2011 850xp for $1500. i would like to have the eps but am i crazy losing the power. honestly i dont really need an 850 but i dont want to be disappointed.

i think the deal is really good???

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
i have a chance to get into 13 550 eps from my 2011 850xp for $1500. i would like to have the eps but am i crazy losing the power. honestly i dont really need an 850 but i dont want to be disappointed.

Look at all the money you will save on fuel. Riding more comfortably is better than power anyday. Seems like a good price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah and i would get the nice painted plastics better wheels and tires. seems like a no brainer... o and i have the oil in the airbox!

·
Registered
130 Posts
ID go for it.Ilove my 850 but im stepping down when i trade her.wIFE ALREADY HAS A 550 DOES EVERYTHING I DO.Very rarely ever use all the power.550 sounds smoother idling and has lots of muscle Iwill never own a bike without power steering again either
ALAN

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
ID go for it.Ilove my 850 but im stepping down when i trade her.wIFE ALREADY HAS A 550 DOES EVERYTHING I DO.Very rarely ever use all the power.550 sounds smoother idling and has lots of muscle Iwill never own a bike without power steering again either
ALAN
Completely logical. And you can spend in extra accessories.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts

I think you would be terribly disappointed with the amount of power loss you will experience. Wait till you can make a good deal for a EPS 850. It's easy for someone who doesn't ride a big CC machine to sit back and say make the switch, you don't need all that power, you won't miss it. That's BS. You will miss it, and you will not be happy.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
well, how much more to get into a 2012 850 EPS (they should be on clearance, only $7,999 around here)? And remember the 12-13's have about 5-10 more HP's than your 2011.. I have no problem riding my old and my buddy's 500's while the test drive my 850, but I can't wait to get back on my beast.. I would not go backwards in power, but agree the PS is worth the extra moola....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i ended up getting a 2012 850 xp eps le orange in color. i drove the 550 twice and could not believe how big the power difference is. got a smoking deal. for $2500 i am trading. really happy with my dealer on this one!! that gets me a model year, paint, better wheel/tire package, and power steering. plus another front rack compartment that comes standard on the le.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Look at all the money you will save on fuel. Riding more comfortably is better than power anyday. Seems like a good price.
flawed logic when the fuel saver cost an additional $1500. How much fuel can you buy with $1500.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

flawed logic when the fuel saver cost an additional $1500. How much fuel can you buy with $1500.
At $6/ gallon - 250 gallons. The 550 will still be on the 250 gallons long after the 850 has guzzled it. It must be nice to get gas as cheap as you folks do, to be able to easily drive all these gas guzzling quads, especially since they are not more productive than the smaller cc machines.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can't believe nobody asked this question yet. What kind of riding do you do? Do you ever go into higher elevations? If all you are doing is riding down a few trails and use it to get to the neighbors or ride a few ditches to your favorite hunting spot, then the 550 makes perfect sense.

I went with the 850 EPS only because we don't really have trails where I live so it is alot of ditch/gravel road time. I also want to occaisionally hit the Big Horn Mts. So I went bigger.

My buddy next door has the 550 EPS. He uses almost half the gas I do. He goes on a few rides here and there with us but usually just rides around the lake here in the area and occaisionally around his farm. Doesn't plan to go anywhere else and that is a perfect machine for what he uses it for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't believe nobody asked this question yet. What kind of riding do you do? Do you ever go into higher elevations? If all you are doing is riding down a few trails and use it to get to the neighbors or ride a few ditches to your favorite hunting spot, then the 550 makes perfect sense.

I went with the 850 EPS only because we don't really have trails where I live so it is alot of ditch/gravel road time. I also want to occaisionally hit the Big Horn Mts. So I went bigger.

My buddy next door has the 550 EPS. He uses almost half the gas I do. He goes on a few rides here and there with us but usually just rides around the lake here in the area and occaisionally around his farm. Doesn't plan to go anywhere else and that is a perfect machine for what he uses it for.
i use it to plow snow, ride trails and hills in Black Hills in SD. also i use it for some food plots, pulling a boat and pontoon around. help move cows and as another vehicle when making short trips.

the 550 would probably done a decent job of all of this but the 850 will do it good.

and as far as gas.... i know the 550 is better but you know what if that bothered me i wouldnt have an atv, or 2 trucks, or a boat... get my drift. i really dont like where prices (fuel) are but i am not going to let it control my life. you only live once better enjoy it!!

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts

i use it to plow snow, ride trails and hills in Black Hills in SD. also i use it for some food plots, pulling a boat and pontoon around. help move cows and as another vehicle when making short trips.

the 550 would probably done a decent job of all of this but the 850 will do it good.

and as far as gas.... i know the 550 is better but you know what if that bothered me i wouldnt have an atv, or 2 trucks, or a boat... get my drift. i really dont like where prices (fuel) are but i am not going to let it control my life. you only live once better enjoy it!!
You get my vote for "quote of the year".

·
Registered
105 Posts

You get my vote for "quote of the year".
I second that motion haha well said, it sucks we have folks that wanna tell us we are using a lot of gas but if your concerned that much about saving gas then maybe you shouldn't be riding an atv. I'm just saying that some of us would like to romp on the throttle and just about get whiplash instead of constantly worrying if I'm getting 10 or 15 MPG and always babying the throttle. If you want to argue the fact that you can ride longer because you only have one cylinder then you arguement is void because I just don't give a $hit. My 850 has got to be the funnest thing on 4 wheels I've had in a while and I gap the throttle religiously lol. I ride to have a good time, not for gas savings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where I hunt we often pull a trailer with everything we need for a week. While the 800 will pull it better, the amount of fuel it burns becomes an issue as you gave to bring that much more fuel in with you. In the riding we do you wont have much opportunity to use the extra power.
Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always looked at the difference between 850cc to 550cc as speed instead of power for some reason, I'm riding a 500cc and it will handle anything I throw at it

1 - 20 of 51 Posts