Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting an atv and can't decide between the 570 and 850. Mostly going to be hunting and mud riding.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
850 is a "beast" You would not regret that choice. I went from a 550 to an 850 - would never go back. Reality - the 570 would likely do all you wanted - just the 850 will do it better.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bought a 2017 570 new and love it. It can handle everything I need it to do and more. But I’d still rather have bought an 850. It gets subjective when you start asking what year to get. Things like price, condition, history....make comparing the 2 difficult. If new- 850 no brainer.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Need has nothing to do with the choice. If you want a stupid grin on your face every time you grab a handful of throttle, go right to the 850. There is no replacement for displacement!

·
Registered
774 Posts
If my choice was to have a stupid grin it wouldn’t be in an Atv. Maybe a 68 GT 500 Shelby or a 69 Charger RT with 426 Hemi!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the trails I ride in the Hills and forest parks, my 570 SP has no trouble keeping up with my RZR 1000 XP. If I was out in the dunes or continuously running through deep mud it'd be a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
What year of the 850 is the best value to get for a first timer
I would stay away from the early models, go 2015 or later (can't remember the years, they are posted on this forum, search for "spun timing gear"). The early 850s had an issue with spinning the timing gear on the crank. Also, there are some preventative, minor, upgrrades you might do - front pinion cover and frame braces.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
I got rid of my 850 XP and replaced it with my 570 Touring. I have never regretted making that choice. The 570 cost a whole lot less, and runs just as good. You lose some top end to the 850, but 0-25 they will run neck & neck. I'm a high altitude (8,500' and up) trail rider/rock crawler and would buy another 570 before buying another 850. I used to buy into the whatever a 570 will do, the 850 will do it better line. (may have used that line myself a time or two...;)) Then I actually bought the 570 and found out that 99% of the time that's just not the case. The 850 is a great machine, but I actually prefer the 570.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking into getting an atv and can't decide between the 570 and 850. Mostly going to be hunting and mud riding.
It's unfortunate that dealers won't let you test drive these things. (no dealers that I've seen) I did some research and decided on the 850 Sportsman (bought new 9/2019). This thing is stock and it SHREDS. Holy poop, this thing has a ton of juice. I use it primarily on a nearby lake for ice fishing so I don't often get to lay into the throttle. If you plan to hit mud I would say go with the 850 if it's within your budget. You will not regret it. However, I've not been on a 570 so WTF do I really know. Also, these things tend to hold their value relatively well from what I can see. In theory, you'll get a little more out of an 850 when you sell it someday (assuming you don't thrash it too bad).

I LOVE my 850.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
The 850 bas model is absolutely the best bang for your buck in the industry.

The base 570 is absolutely the best value for your dollar in the industry.

So which do you want a ton more power for your dollar or to save them??

My advice get the 850. Especially if you're going to get some bigger (28") mud tires.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
It's unfortunate that dealers won't let you test drive these things. (no dealers that I've seen) I did some research and decided on the 850 Sportsman (bought new 9/2019). This thing is stock and it SHREDS. Holy poop, this thing has a ton of juice. I use it primarily on a nearby lake for ice fishing so I don't often get to lay into the throttle. If you plan to hit mud I would say go with the 850 if it's within your budget. You will not regret it. However, I've not been on a 570 so WTF do I really know. Also, these things tend to hold their value relatively well from what I can see. In theory, you'll get a little more out of an 850 when you sell it someday (assuming you don't thrash it too bad).

I LOVE my 850.

View attachment 137190
Not sure where you are at but where I work we do allow test drives......Can't expect people to spend 5-10 grand on an ATV without driving it! Side by sides are the same. There is generally always someone driving one around the grass or parking lot. Sleds have a bean field to the west of the building along with the perimeter of the dealership.

·
Registered
188 Posts
get the 570, its all u will need, the 850 has to many problems to be corrected or updated, and def get eps.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
They all, and I mean all makes, models, sizes - can have problems.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
The 850 doesn't have any "PROBLEMS" per say!!!!! It's a solid machine!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 2014 570 mostly for utility plowing and such, and a 2017 850 for recreational trail and two-track riding.

Both are good rides with plenty of umph and capability. They do have different strong points to their personalities.

The 570 seems a bit more tractor-like with a more formal upright seating and controls position. Access to some maintenance points is a little tricky, and I don’t like the center gas fill. The battery is very difficult to check levels (changed to maintenance-free), and have to take all the side panels off to access the prop shaft grease fitting.

The 850 is a bit more sporty in feel. Seating position seems a little more “in” than on for me. The double wishbone front suspension is more compliant in the ruff stuff. Maintenance access is a little easier overall, except it’s impossible to get to the upper front grease points.

Both ( all Polaris) have a maddening mix of US and metric fasteners. My overall impression is that the various individual systems were designed with inadequate thought as to how they all fit together. Way too much effort to do your own maintenance because of tight layout, structural interference and difficulty getting tools to where you need them.

Conclusion: If I had to pick just one, I’d go with an 850.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Yes, and I don't have any issues greasing those upper a-arm joints on my 850. Had to get a straight tube extension to reach them from the far side.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I swapped min out for 90 degree ones so I don’t have to reach through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts