Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was mounting a set of hd3 wheels on my 2013 850 xp le late tonight.the wheels came with new lug nuts. theist nuts are marked 3/8 24. it didn't seen to fit on one of the stock bolts and i took it off after trying with an impact wrench. i tried the stock nuts and i couldn't get it down far as well.

1st question what is the proper size lug nut for an aluminum after market wheel ?

2nd question do most dealers stock replacement lug bolts? or can i source one at a napa auto parts?

3 is it difficult to replace the bolt , do i need to take it to the dealer{ not that mechanically sound}?

·
Registered
434 Posts
the dealer will stock them for a few dollars each, easiest way to get them off is to take hub off(remove axle nut and brake caliper and pull it off) then put a socket bigger then the stud on back end of stud(hammer stud into socket) to hold hub solid and hammer the stud out

·
Registered
434 Posts
to get new one in tap it in to start it then suck it in with lug nut

·
Registered
487 Posts
They are cheap enough from the dealer that you could buy a few extras for spares. A buddy of mine broke two on his RAZR due to overtorquing them and driving like a raped date. Needless to say, it ruined the outing by turning it into a rescue mission that could have been fixed in minutes even in the field.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
And stay away from the impact. I have never and never will put an ATV wheel on with an impact. They do not need to be impact tight.

Ronnie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And stay away from the impact. I have never and never will put an ATV wheel on with an impact. They do not need to be impact tight.

Ronnie
i learned the hard way. no working on equipment when I'm half tired late at night and no need for overkill with the new set of power tools.

do the stock bolts on the 2013 take a 3/4 inch lug nut ? have to find some different lug nuts to use with the STI hd3 wheels. the stocks nuts are too big for the wheels and 3/8 tapered tip nuts i had seem to tight although it might be after i stripped the thread on 2 bolts.

·
Registered
434 Posts
your rims didnt come with lug nuts????? mine did

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your rims didnt come with lug nuts????? mine did
they did , some itp tapered lug nuts marked 3/8 24. felt like they were grinding or stripping the threads on my bolt going in from being a bit to small . didn't want to completely strip it so i tried it on another bolt and the same thing. i took them off and put the stock wheel and the stock lug nuts back on but then had great difficulty getting the kug nuts on the two damaged bolts. unfortunately the vendor is closed for the weekend and can't get back to them until monday, and to make matters worse my water heater went out the same evening and my wife's sister and mother and their friend decided to stay over for the weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts
sounds like a ruff time for you lol, im pretty sure the xp and value line all have same wheel studs mine fit perfectly on my 500 and they were itp, came with my ss212's

sound like a good weekend to spend in garage lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 550XP and 850XP are 10mm metric studs. Every other Polaris is 3/8 Standard. I've got 4 brand new studs if you need them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It doesn't take 2mins to change the studs just knock one out put the new one in. As far as lug nuts just about any other brand will fit Honda Yamaha Kawasaki and Can Am all take 10/1.25mm metric lugs shouldn't be hard to find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts