Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 850 XP touring. Since almost new, I have been getting a squealing noise when driving up hill or under any kind of load between 5-20 mph. Faster than 20mph it goes away. It is under warrenty and I have had it in 4 times. 1st time, cannot duplicate, 2nd time, new belt and clutch said "rode hard and it doesn't squeal, 3rd time took shim out of secondary clutch, finally squeal is not as loud and only from about 5-9 mph in High and ALMOST none at all in Low unless under good load like crawling over a large rock slowly. 4th time take yet another shim out and now it is worse not better!! I'm about to take it back a 5th time and I am ready to give it back to them. What is the problem??!! I really enjoy riding the machine, but the noise is enough to drive me crazy and I am really worried that it might be something that could get me stuck high and far up into the Colorado Rockies. Please help!

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome to the site, sorry your having trouble. Mine doesn't do anything like you described , unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin with what the problem is. Maybe try another dealer for a 2nd opinion if the first one can't figure it out in 4 attempts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
1st off you should not be going 5-9 mph in high!!!!
running under 10 mph use LOW

using ADC use LOW

quickest way to ruin a belt is running in high when you should be in low range

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
maybe both clutchees and belt are bad, if they are removing shims it must be an alighnment problem, as stated I wouldnt tell them it 5-9 mph in high

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2010 850 Touring and at 3000kms I started to hear a slight squeal as well. Thought my belt was on it's way out. Put on a new OEM belt but squeal continued. Old belt was still as new and clutch area was dry and clean. Not sure if the cause could be dust in the bearing area or if this is just normal clutch sound?

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I would also try a different dealer. If you have been using the one there in Ft. Collins then I would call Cheyenne and talk to them. Worst case you could talk with Sun down in Thornton, but I think Cheyenne would be closer and being a smaller store, you might get better service from them. They seem to be decent guys up there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts