Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out to play in the snow with my new toy. Plowed my small driveway then rode abit. Parked the atv in the garage to adjust the blade lower then went to start it to go out again and it turns over then stops with not starting. Hit starter switch again and hear a big twack and starter won't spin or turn over motor. Unit is brand new.., Any ideas anyone or is it just that the starter crapped out ...

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is fully charged. The sound made is not a clicking like you would hear from the starter if the battery hasn't enough juice to whirl it but a loud crack...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ice inside the starter? I know my scrambler has issues starting after riding in the snow, and letting it sit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How do you know battery is fully charged? Are you assuming it is because it should be? Or have you put a meter or charger/tender on it?

Can you put it in a garage or somwhere that is warm enought to melt any ice accumulation? If so, I'd let it sit long enough for it to thaw out, then try it again. Of course this is assuming you've ensured a full charge on the battery.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would think that it is the battery as well. I had both my starters replaced which is where the starters may have an inconsistent reputation but as it turns out both were fine and it was actually my batteries. I upgraded to the Odyssey's and have not had an issue since.

When plowing the battery takes a bit of a beating and the machine actually uses more power than it produces so eventually it wears down the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it in to the dealer and it was a bad battery. Evidently my battery tester isn't working either. I had to replace batteries in my Harley, truck, and kubota this year and none had acted or sounded like this one did. Good thing is my dealer is great and replaced it no questions asked and I installed the adapter for a trickle charger hookup to never have this problem again. If you need a great dealer; Valley Motorsports in Viginia is the place to buy for Polaris, Victory, Kawasaki, and Suzuki !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts