Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats out there so far I got the hmf swamp pipe. I am waitting for the UNI filter to come out and them I will have to run a programer. I know HMF has one has any body heard of any else? have also heard about a new CDI that dynateck I think is comming out with. Hopfully it will advance the timing some.The bike doesn't need any more top end speed I just want to get there quicker:headbang:
Well ok I really don't want to beet a outlander I want to dust his azz:burnout:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I thought those things are already fast?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thay are wicked fast but there is always a bigger FISH:cowboy:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thay are wicked fast but there is always a bigger FISH:cowboy:
So Jug Head, do you have any updates on this? Have you found any goodies that help acceleration and fuel mileage or anything else? I just bought my own 850 XP about 2 months ago and I'm looking to add some mods.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Diamond G racing has a woods pipe available now and a Power comander in the works that can alter timing.

I had the HMF pipe on mine and was not able to produce any gains on the dyno. Diamond G said they have proven hp gains with the woods pipe. The PC5 with timing control could be very interesting too.

I also think speedwerx is working on some things too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speedwerx Exhaust and clutch kit with airfilter. Not much to just bolt on that will make it more of a monster. Wait for different programmer like diamond g. It's suppose to be able to change timing. That's about it for bolt ons. Unless u want to get into motor work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If its the chips I am thinking of its been all over several forums, its pretty much a scam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those chips on ebay are like buying swampland in florida. Not worth nothing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The HMF is a dobeck fuel control, private labeled for HMF. It controls fuel mixture only. HMF does some testing with there pipe on a machine to establish a new fuel map for the pipe. That map however is only as good as the guy making it. It also can not be all that acurate for all altitudes nation wide. This is sort of the pifalls of EFI bikes.

The dyno market has been strong over the past few years, because to really setup a TFI right, it should be on your machine and tuned for your machine with all your mods in place. Say you add a custom air filter. That right there changed the air fuel mix and the HMF programing is no longer acurate, also adding snorkles alter air flow so again the AFRs will be off. Big mud tires can alter load on the motor and change the tune as well.

Then there are eddie current dynos that can simulate loads on the motor and then there are somewhat basic enertia dynos that can not simumate real world loads.

In the world of EFI machines, you have to have the right tools availble in your area or be willing to spend some extra money and time to ever get them setup right. There are ways to tune one yourself without a dyno, but that requires you to install an AFR meeter on the bike and some practice with riding one handed and adjusting the mix on the fly to get the mapping setup for your machine and mods.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 850 in particular runs really fat cold from the factory. But once its warmed up it is a pretty lean mix right from the factory, likely do to emission laws in some states. A pipe without a TFI gets pretty lean in spots and really lean if under a heavy load in those ranges.

A TFI, be it dobecks/HMF or a Powercomander, one of them, should be on a 850 and properly tuned , in order to safely run an aftermarket pipes.

The difference in HP is not likely more than a few tenths of 1 hp but the life your motor could be in jeopardy without one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok but the sensors on the exhaust and air temperature are suppose to figure all that out, That's the whole point of Efi motors. Assuming the sensors work it reads emissions and air temperature and ageists the mix. My impression is that the programmer is suppose to bypass those sensors and allow manual tuning, as well as timing changes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is not an O'2 sensor on your exhaust, none of the quads on the market from any brand self adjust like cars all quads run an open loop system. They do however have mass air sensors on the intakes, that helps determin a few variables needed for the mix, but it will not self adjust if you add a pipe or do really much of any mods that effec load or airflow , in a since the system needs to be given a new map to work off of, or you could run to lean or depending on what you added could make it to rich .

You can do this by buying a TFI from HMF (Dobeck) or a powercomander. There is a new Power comander 5 that is coming out that you can install a 0'2 sensor and it can become somewhat of a closed loop system, but you still have to setup the new base line mapping from what I have been told about the PC5 anyway.

Here is a good link to info on EFI, look at the very bottom of the page, there is a very good description of open vs closed loop systems.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/inject.html

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need a fuel control to remap your air fuel mix, you are very likely running way to lean. Once you have a fuel control you can get it mapped on a dyno, or install a AFR meeter and try and map it on your own. Or you can probably get away with running the HMF/dobeck with there mapping if you put the stock filter back in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you ride in a lot of dust I would ditch the K&N filter. I put one on my 700EFI and had a big problem with dust getting into the intake tube. I switched to a Uni and no more dust and just as much power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I race mine in ATVCCS and TORN, got HMF with fuel opt, tried the chip from ebay this weekend what a load of crap.. I'm looking for anything to get low end power faster..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts