Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i fired up the 850 for a snow ride. I have had the machine kind of stumble if i tapped the gas.

Machine seemed good for about 5 minutes, then when i revved it up a bit going across a field, the. Let off, it started stumbling bad. Check engine light came on. It went into limp mode. I let it idle and the check engine light went out, and it seemed ok.

I started heading home, and as i pulled into the drive way light came on again and it just died. Dash lights went out. I put it back in neutral and it fired right back up and pulled it into the garage.

I checked the battery cables and they are tight. So i have no ideas. I think i am just out of warranty too (ugh)

Anybody have these issues?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
399 Posts
When the check engine light came on, did it throw a code ?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
So i fired up the 850 for a snow ride. I have had the machine kind of stumble if i tapped the gas.

Machine seemed good for about 5 minutes, then when i revved it up a bit going across a field, the. Let off, it started stumbling bad. Check engine light came on. It went into limp mode. I let it idle and the check engine light went out, and it seemed ok.

I started heading home, and as i pulled into the drive way light came on again and it just died. Dash lights went out. I put it back in neutral and it fired right back up and pulled it into the garage.

I checked the battery cables and they are tight. So i have no ideas. I think i am just out of warranty too (ugh)

Anybody have these issues?

Thanks in advance!
My 550 ran real ruff when the throttle cable needed adjustment.
I read that the 850's foul plugs often.
water in the gas? or just bad from sitting?
I'm no wrench head but things I look for before I call a mechanic anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a similar symptom and it was the throttle position sensor. The wireing harness wasn't plugged in tight.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
With the 850 XP the stock plugs were too cold on the earlier models and they would easily foul if you didn't let the engine warm up good before hitting the throttle. The best thing to do is switch to NGK and always let your ATV warm up good at idle. Most system run rich at full cold so this is more apt to happen with the engine cold. Once warmed up the fuel system will lean the mixture to the proper air:fuel ratio and will run properly. Also cold starts are hard on your cvt belt so I always allow my bike to warm up 2 - 5 minutes at idle depending on the temp and drive around in low and slow for a couple of minutes to get the belt warmed up...then give it hell!!!!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Also, if any electrical connection gets wet it can cause a ground issue which will cause your symptoms. Always use a good dielectric grease on all electrical connections and in the plug boots if you ride water and mud. Had this issue on my last trip and it was a wet electrical connector. It would run fine then it would just barely run and throw engine codes. Took all electrical connectors apart and greased them good and no more issues...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips. Ill check for codes tomorrow.

I let it warm up for a good 5 minutes (at least) before givin' er.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a out 5 minutes of riding i got it to throw the code again.

"520194" 7 throttle stuck

Sooooo i have no idea what it could be? Maybe the tps acting up?

From searching around on the forum it seems like others have had this issue.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after searching some more it appears this is a fairly common issue. But nobody says a particular way to fixing it.

Maybe a new tps?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had the same issue on my LE. It turned out that they replaced the TPS and also the MAP sensor. Error flashed on and off since basically new and would always go away if I restarted.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i called headingly ss and even tho my warranty is up today, they will cover it when i bring it in saturday.

Luckily i have a good dealer!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah i called headingly ss and even tho my warranty is up today, they will cover it when i bring it in saturday.

Luckily i have a good dealer!!
Nice! Mine started doing it after the first 100km. I bought mine at the end of the season, so it sat in the garage untill the lake froze. So the warranty was up by the time it was unridable. My dealer and Polaris covered all costs, just lost a lot of seat time while they figured it out. The head mechanic even made house calls as he didn't live to far from me to try the simple fixes. Now that's service!:fing02:

Good luck !

·
Registered
90 Posts
my 2013 does it and has done it since new. The TPS replacement bought me 1000 trouble free miles. THe machine is acting up again. If anyone has a fix please post what you or your dealer did to fix this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try turning the handlebars lock to lock while its at idle, and try tugging on the throttle cable where it goes down into the pod. If either of those throws the code, chances are its zip-tied too tight on the handlebars and doesn't have enough movement. See it a lot when people install windshields and pull that cable around the windshield clamps. That is the solution for that code 95% of the time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tagged for good info.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try turning the handlebars lock to lock while its at idle, and try tugging on the throttle cable where it goes down into the pod. If either of those throws the code, chances are its zip-tied too tight on the handlebars and doesn't have enough movement. See it a lot when people install windshields and pull that cable around the windshield clamps. That is the solution for that code 95% of the time.
Lol!! When i installed a windshield on my machine about a week ago. And when i first got the code, i cut the zip tie off. But hadn't taken it for a ride. So i took it out yesterday before i was going to take it to the dealer, and no more issues!!!

So good info man!!!

All this hassle from a 2 cent zip tie lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts