Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone describe what a failing one-way bearing might sound like? Or do they just completely fail?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Good question!!! I would also like to know the scenarios and symptoms of a failing one way bearing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Gets really hard to shift. Creeps forward at idle while in gear. When it gets worse, you have to turn off the engine to shift. When the bearing fully seizes to the shaft, the belt burns and the seals melt on the bearing and you get smoke coming out from under the seat.

D

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you do a lot of really slow riding with big rocks and and tree to go over, the one way takes a real beating. At around 7 mph the clutch faces close on the belt and lift it off the one way. When you drop down below that by letting off the throttle, it engages the one way. Then when you touch the throttle it comes off the one way again.

In slow rocky trail the one way engages and dis engages many many times a ride. It wears out fast in this type of riding. If you are riding open trail, or logging roads above 10 MPH the one way never engages and will last for lots of miles.

I have never gotten more than 1000 mile on a one way. I leave the one-way in until it seizes or gets hard to shift and then change them out to a two-way from a scrambler. I have never had a two way wear out. It eliminates EBS and makes your sportsman ride like a scrambler.
I like it better but everyone has there own preference.

D

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Oh sh!t it sounds like my one way on the 570-T is on its way out. Just about 1,000 miles on it and has those symptoms. Those 1,000 miles have been slower type rocky/crawly terrain. I thinking I will need a two-way bearing off a 570. I'll have to do some investigating as to any differences in clutches. If the clutches are the same I will swap the one-way for a two-way. If not I'll just replace the one-way.

I do notice the steeper longer decends where the EBS is really working the bearing will squeal and shifting becomes harder.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The secondary will be a different part number. It makes no difference. The EBS secondary works fine with a non-EBS primary. The only difference in the primary between EBS and NON-EBS is the one way bearing or a plain needle bearing.
This is what I use, but it may be different for a 570.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2019-Polaris-Ranger-RZR-Scrambler-OEM-Primary-Clutch-Needle-Bearing-3514609/173702238271?fits=Model:Scrambler+850&epid=3017022912&hash=item287175d03f:g:N5kAAOSwOnJcHQ3a:sc:USPSFirstClass!59701!US!-1

D

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Ok cool thanks for the info Deucer :top:!!

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Deucer, I think i'm seeing early stages of that bearing failure. I do a lot of slow, rocky, tight trails; on and off the throttle at under 10mph constantly. Think I will plan on replacing it, and the belt.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Belt is kind of a given when the one way goes out. It chews up the inside face of the belt. If you catch it early, the belt still may be useable.
I put back on a belt on my 1000 that was pretty questionable and it has been working fine. The sides were still in good shape but the "gogs" on the inside were pretty bad. I was installing a two way so the grip on the cog side was of no concern to me.

If you reinstall a one-way, the cog face is more important.

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts