Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a used 2010 850 XP with about 650 miles on it. It is about 2hrs from my house and I went to look at it last Saturday. When I looked at it, I noticed that the right headlight assembly was a darker color than the left. At the time I thought that maybe it had a minor leak or something and was dirty inside. Tonight though I ran across another one on craigslist that has the exact same issue. Here is a pic of the bike I found tonight

http://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_7OD6MCmFXna_600x450.jpg

I have since read up on the PCV value issue and it sounds as though there is a kit to fix it. Am I reading that right and is this headlight discoloration a symptom? I did not see any oil leaks but I could have missed it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That one appears to be missing the lens.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Not sure how you are linking a pcv valve issue to the headlight??? Maybe I'm missing something here, but the headlights have no connection to anything engine related. A discolored headlight could be the result of many things, none of which have anything to do with the motor oil. When you go look at it again, pull the cover off of the air filter housing and pull out the filter. If the filter housing doesn't have oil in the bottom of it then you have nothing to worry about with the pcv valve. If there is some oil puddled up in there, use that to your advantage as a bargaining tool and get the price lowered. It is an easy, inexpensive to fix, deal. Plenty of information about the different ways to fix it here on this forum.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
pretty sure he meant PVC as in Polyvinyl chloride. I agree it got wet and dried. Mine are like that as well. You can take them off and with a paper towel and a rod you can clean the insides. This lasts until the next time you go through deep water.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
pretty sure he meant PVC as in Polyvinyl chloride. I agree it got wet and dried. Mine are like that as well. You can take them off and with a paper towel and a rod you can clean the insides. This lasts until the next time you go through deep water.
I'm not convinced as the OP specifically says, "PCV valve issue." Also mentions a "kit" to fix it. Maybe he's confusing the more common oil in the airbox housing issue??!?

In any event, like others have stated, it looks like it got wet. I had the small hole at the top of a headlight housing leak causing it to get filled with muddy water. Like an idiot, I tried to wash it out with soap and water but all I managed to do was wash away the silver coating. I ended up having to replace the entire housing.

Mark

·
Registered
294 Posts
Like an idiot, I tried to wash it out with soap and water but all I managed to do was wash away the silver coating. I ended up having to replace the entire housing.

Mark
I was just getting ready to post to not use any kind of cleaning solution inside a headlight (including an automotive headlight) as more likely than not, the mirror coating will be removed. I found that out the hard way on a pickup truck headlight assembly. Ka-ching

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That looks like it had water inside and was left to sit. The longer the water is in there the worst they get. You can get a replacement on Flea Bay for about 40 bucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how you are linking a pcv valve issue to the headlight??? Maybe I'm missing something here, but the headlights have no connection to anything engine related. A discolored headlight could be the result of many things, none of which have anything to do with the motor oil. When you go look at it again, pull the cover off of the air filter housing and pull out the filter. If the filter housing doesn't have oil in the bottom of it then you have nothing to worry about with the pcv valve. If there is some oil puddled up in there, use that to your advantage as a bargaining tool and get the price lowered. It is an easy, inexpensive to fix, deal. Plenty of information about the different ways to fix it here on this forum.
Very good question and one that I was asking myself last night. I couldn't figure out myself why in the heck Polaris would vent something into the sealed headlight assembly. It came from this post:

Need Help - 850XP Spitting oil into headlight??? - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

The more I read it though I'm guessing he was referring to the center cluster. It was just odd that I ran across two bikes with the same condition on the same side.

And thanks to everyone, I originally figured it was just a lead in the assembly. I'll order a new one after I pick the bike up.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I remember reading that thread way back when. And yes, it is the center headlight pod that they were referring to. That is where the fuel tank vent vents to. PCV is routed to the air box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts