Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys another question. First, let me thank you all for the NEWBIE information you all are providing for me. Ok, yesterday I was out riding my new Sportsman 850XP. I was riding on the side of the railroad tracks pretty slow, maybe 5 to 10 mph and not constant 10mph. I put the atv in low since I knew I would be running pretty slow. Is this the correct think to do with low gear. I was not climbing or pulling a load like the manila says, just running pretty slow. Just wondering if I did the right thing or should I in this case of just left in in HIGH. I did get a hot smell one time, but nothing major. It has 7hrs on it now. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
434 Posts
low is fine for under 15mph, id only leave it in under 10mph but manual says 15

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I run low anytime i am doing consistant less than 10 mph.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I always use low gear at slow speeds and of course with pushing/pulling or when stuck or climbing. You also would not hurt anything by having it in high gear since you are not doing anything strenuous with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,075 Posts
The only time I use low is in extreme situations or putting a load on the engine. I trail ride in high at sometimes very slow speeds and leave it in high all the time. Riding on flat ground like you were doing, it would have been fine to leave it in high.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^^X2^^^

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I had the warm smell to, I thought because I was running 10 to 15 mph in Low for quite awhile it was just warm because of the higher RPM and maybe it is the first time you got the exhaust good and warm and you where burning the residue off the parts, that is what I thought and allot of times if you are tinkering around and you build up some carbon in the exhaust then start some higher RPM it smells hot

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can actually run all the way up into the 30's with the new roller clutch in the XP's in Low gear.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Don't worry about the burning smell, it's just your fender and part of your seat burning!!! Lol

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I flat spotted a belt riding slow in H, most trails here cant be ridden over 20km/h so I just leave it in low until we get to a road.
Keep doing what your doing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i put a groove in my clutch running slow in high

·
Super Moderator
7,075 Posts
You can actually run all the way up into the 30's with the new roller clutch in the XP's in Low gear.
But why would you want to? You can also run 5 mph in high all day and not hurt anything, but not many seem to believe that either. Been doing it for years and many thousands of miles, and have never burned a belt. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
But why would you want to? You can also run 5 mph in high all day and not hurt anything, but not many seem to believe that either. Been doing it for years and many thousands of miles, and have never burned a belt. To each their own.
Bob you just seem to like to argue and that's fine. I advised what you can technically do based on the manual so the person asking the question (not you as you know everything) knew he wasn't hurting his ATV running in Low Gear at the speeds he mentioned (i.e. I answered his question). I personally do not drive at 30 mph in Low very often but I can do it and not hurt the ATV and there are many occasions riding in the mountains where i might see 20 mph for quite a distance as I am making my way up a difficult climb (which you do in Low if your smart). I try to use High as much as possible for fuel economy but unless I am running on a road or a packed trail at or above 10 mph I leave it in low as that is the best for the ATV IMHO. Pulled my grandson's around in a sled for a couple of hours in Low in the Snow (mostly below 10 mph but actually hit 20 at one point and no worries). Most people cook their belts riding in High gear when they should be in low (e.g. Mud, pulling a load, plowing, sand, snow and so on, climbing hills, etc..). Must be some exciting rides running at 5 mph in high gear all day long, why don't you video that and put it on YouTube and post a link! :werd:

·
Super Moderator
7,075 Posts
No need to make an ass of yourself. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. If you disagree, that's fine by me. If you think you need to belittle those who disagree with you, well, that's just being an ass.
Those of you who think you know everything really annoy those of us who do. :wink1: :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Run in high, slip your belt

Run in low too fast, and rev the shit out of your motor.

That's why people on here boggle my mind on the break in thing, Even the manual says to use low as much as possible on break in, yet it results in revving the piss out of the motor for extended periods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts