Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen on here where a guy grinder his caliper down ro run 12" rims has anyone else done this or have dome input?

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
More sidewall, better, cheaper tire options.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep alot of good deals on 12" wheels. But not having any luck finding any info on doing this mod.

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As stated, it would be better, but IIRC the person that did it say even after grinding it down there was only a fraction of an inch between the inner rim and the outer part of the caliber.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As stated, it would be better, but IIRC the person that did it say even after grinding it down there was only a fraction of an inch between the inner rim and the outer part of the caliber.
If that's the case it wouldn't work anyways. Bc to big of a chance to wedge a rock in there. Thxs

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Found it! At least the one I was thinking off, its the bottom post on this page; post #140. Gotta love photographic memory!

IMO, seeing how much gouging has occurred on the inner rim of my '14s I'm just going to stick with them cause I have a feeling if I went '12s I'm going to rip the back end off or lose control when a rock gets caught up in there.

Edit: Helps if I give ya the link huh... http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-scrambler-xp-1000/50893-1000-14.html

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seen on here where a guy grinder his caliper down ro run 12" rims has anyone else done this or have dome input?

My S3 addiction!!

Gotta hurt the resale value for sure.:ponder:
That would be irrelevant bc im keeping it til the end lol. When I get a new one this one will go to the kids or wife

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

My S3 addiction!!

Gotta hurt the resale value for sure.:ponder:
How? Who looks at brake calipers when they are shopping for an ATV? lol. And I doubt (if done correctly) you would notice 3/16 of an inch missing with the rims on it. Maybe with a sharp eye you'd notice the smaller rims but the avg Joe more then likely wouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder is u could switch out the rotors and brake caliper off a value line to work?

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Why would anyone want to do that?
Because 14" rims SUCK!!!!!
The 850's are my 1st atv, so I don't know the difference. lol
Why would anyone want to do that?
Because 14" rims SUCK!!!!!
Why? I like mine.... Or are you being sarcastic?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
He's not being sarcastic, they do suck. The difference between 12in and 14in is 2 inches right? Now take a tire that is 26in but comes in both a 12in and 14in rim size. So on the radius of the 14in rim that means you are loosing 1in of sidewall; which means you are loosing extra "cushion" while running the trails and rocks. Same as a car running low profile tires vs the normal passenger tires to an extent; the ride becomes much harsher and firm.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Low profile tires and offroading do not go together. When was the last time you saw a serious offroad machine with low profile tires? Never. There are multiple reasons they don't do that. That has been my biggest complaint with the XP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts