Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '13 850xp which is about 5 weeks old won't start.

This started Saturday, went to go for a quick ride, turned the key and Click. Just like a dead battery. I got the charger out put it on for about 15 minutes and still click. I left it on for a little longer and it started right up. i ran the bike for about two hours. When I got done ridding, I shut it off and started it right back up.

Yesterday I went to move it and same thing. Went to start and Click. I put the charger back on and charged it for 90 minutes at 50Amp. I tried it and nothing but click. I pushed the bike out of the garage and went to call my dealer. While on the phone I thought I'd try it again and it started right up.

I decided to put a battery tender on just to make sure it would stay charged with the cold. Today I went out to try it and Click.

I'm from PA and it has been cold out. Today It was about a high of 18 deg F and the low has been about 5 deg F.

I am almost certain the battery is fully charged and not the problem. I read somewhere else that frost could be the problem. I have never had frost seize up a starter before on anything else.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Make sure battery cables are tight. Check ground cable where it attaches to frame make sure it's tight also.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bring the ATV inside and let it thaw. If your in PA and were riding, I assume you were riding in the snow. Is there snow is packed between the frame and the engine? I left mine out the other night because I didn't want all the snow stuck in the frame to melt inside. Got really cold so I decided to bring it inside. It acted like a 90yr old man with arthritis. Warmed up and off she went.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You may have condensation in the starter that is causing it to freeze a bit not allowing starter to turn over. I have had this when I go for a short ride enough to heat up quad then left to cool off. I diagnosed mine when it did it by hooking a power cable right to the starter lug. I got nothing. Brought it into garage for an hour and it started right up.

My experience is that if you run it for a while it is less likely to happen. I think its because it the outside stays cool and internals are hot. You run it long enough then everything warms up. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so this morning I went out to the garage, battery tender showed full charge, tried the starter and CLICK.

I got out the heat gun and put it on the starter area for a few minutes. Turned the key and it started right up!

I let it run for a minute before I had to run to work. When I got home it started right up again and I let it run for about 15 minutes to let it warm up and dry out. I will try it again tomorrow.

I have a detached-unheated garage and no warm garage to thaw it out. Yes I have been running it in the snow. I would have thought the starter would be sealed up so water and moisture couldn't get in. Could I have a bad seal? or is it not sealed?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Either a crappy battery or moisture in starter?

I am a lot colder up here and it has been starting to plow etc. even in -25F last week....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would have to guess there is a bad seal on the starter and Im guessing it is directly related to either the starter having moisture inside gumming up the works or a fault with the starter itself or solenoid if it has one but you said it was clicking so I'm guessing it does...time to take it to dealer and have some warranty work done. Mine sits outside all the time and its been 15 below and I have not had any issues with stater moisture. Also, as Ridnagain mentioned 50 amps will cook a small battery so you may want to have it tested.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
a small battery like in the ATV should not be charged with over 2 amps....50 amp charger will make the plates like coils in a toaster..lol..well not that bad...but you can boil it out with that much amperage last year I charged my tractor battery...its a small on like on a quad...I had it set to 10 amps....2 hours later it was boiling...lol...when charging a battery this small..slow an easy wins the race

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I think that there is not moisture getting in but condensation that is already there freezing the armature to the magnets on the case. I think part of the problem is that they are sealed with the rubber casing. I have had it a few times but if I run it for a while and let it actually heat up I have been good the next time I need to start it even at 30 below. I had both of mine replaced under warranty and the mechanic said that when he pulled it off there was frostsicles inside but nothing wrong with either of them other wise. Not actual water but frozen water vapor. Just my experience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have this problem with my winch. If its cold it will lock in the in or out position. I hit it with a heat gun and then i can go plow.
Im going to open the relay and dry it out and seal it up.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have not removed my black "seal" around my starter yet since its working just fine. For those that have and been having the moisture problem; is there enough room that you could remove it, dry it out with a heat gun/hair dryer, then as you re-install it put in one of those little desiccant moisture control packets if there is room to not interfere, with some rtv on the outside? The warming of the starter/bike while running should theoretically constantly allow the moisture to absorb into the packet til it reaches full saturation. Just a thought if its able to fit inside that seal somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts