Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I took our new X2 to Clark Fork Canyon near Clark, Wyoming for a little exploring. We only did 12 miles because our dog Charlie was trailing along with us and we spent a lot of time relaxing along the river (Clark Fork of the Yellowstone). The trail starts at the end of the pavement as FR119 and proceeds along the river about 5 miles to the split at FR120 or Morrison Jeep Trail. We went up the switchbacks a little ways on FR120 then turned back, you can take FR120 all the way to the Beartooth Hy. near the Top of the World Store for an all day awesome ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great pictures! I need to make my way out there some time. Both rides you posted look like very good ones to make.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice landscapes!

You can use a polarizer to cut some of the haze. If you really want to kick it up a notch and get some cool shots use a Neutral density filter. Close down the aperture and slow down the shutter speed to get dramatic motion and clouds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great pics! I so have to figure out how to post them. Kermit Sandhills for us today.

Happy trails

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Nice landscapes!

You can use a polarizer to cut some of the haze. If you really want to kick it up a notch and get some cool shots use a Neutral density filter. Close down the aperture and slow down the shutter speed to get dramatic motion and clouds.
You must be a 35mm kind of guy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice landscapes!

You must be a 35mm kind of guy.
:rotflmao:

Used to be.. DSLR is the way to go nowadays.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions but, these were just cell phone pics. My wife takes a lot better photos than I do but, it is so easy to click afew with my phone, send them to Photobucket, and paste them here.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I agree, great pics for a phone and thanks for letting us see them. I do love the Clark's Fork area but haven't been there in about 20 years. I miss it though. Thanks for letting me see it again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
tincan5, I am very curious to know the route you are taking to get all the way to Cooke City. I have been studying maps and trying to plot a route that I could try to convince the Forest service it should open up. ( i know its a waist of time but hey, you never know) I have a plan that would go from Red Lodge to Cooke City and it would need minimal new trail building, redesignation of a hiking trail (that doesn't get much foot traffic), a couple agreements with local ranches (where a road passes thru their ranch), and following the power line for the last section to Lulu Pass and Daisy Pass then Miller Rd into Cooke City. So you could ride from Red Lodge to the Clark Fork Canyon with the option to go up the Morrison Jeep Trail to the Top of the World and back to the canyon then proceed all the way to Cooke City. What an awesome multi-day ride it would be and a little added $$$$ for Red Lodge and Cooke City. I can even invision a shuttle service (private owned) available to come to different locations along the route with a van and trailer to shuttle you and your ATV's back to your trucks if you can't or don't want to ride the return.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We take the Morrison Jeep Trail to Highway 212, eat lunch at Crandall take Squaw creek road then the Highway to Cooke City. 25-30 miles on pavement, that's the only way I know. We ride above Cooke City on Sunday, back down Morrison on Monday, It's a great ride.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Morrison Jeep Trail September 8, 2013

Good thread! I did my first ride up this a couple days ago. It is one of the prettiest places I've ridden yet. The trail is tough and physically demanding if you go far enough, but it's not really difficult. We went about 16 miles in from the trailhead on the Clark Fork side, TR119. Bad weather and time forced us to turn around and head back down. As it was, we did about 10 hours up there. Next time, I will start from the Montana side on the pass.

Coming up the switchbacks.

This is what it looks at the top like coming back down. This is actually pretty steep and I slid quite a bit as the rocks rolled under the tires.

Tundra well above 9000'. No trees here and in a storm, it's pretty western.

This section was a blast. There's some good scrape marks on these rocks. Ground clearance is a must.

The new ATV-Guru bumper arrived. Nice work as always, John!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts