Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gets fuel and spark. Ran great then one day after kids rode it it just wouldn't start. Tried what I guess is new electric choke, no change. It is getting 3.5 volts from the harness but does nothing when I turn the motor over.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
3.5volts to what I guess is a electronic choke. Another symptom it had prior to this problem was that it would die sometimes when they stopped. It idled fine but just died. Also, it has never needed the brake depressed in order to start. It took the brake lever out and depressed switch with a screw driver wil cranking and it killed power to the starter.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
I'm still confused - there is no voltage to the electric choke until the engine is turning over (cranking or running) and the voltage is directly from the alternator so can be as high as 45 to 90 volts with the engine running in the higher rpm's.

So anyway, the choke is not the problem as the choke is on until the engine has been running for a minute or more.

So is it a two stroke or four stroke 90? Is it a Dinli or Aeon engine? is it a 1990 or 2017 model?
The only thing I know is this thread is in the Scrambler forum and it's a 90.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked electric choke wires from the harness as I cranked the motor that is where I got the 3.5 volts. No idea what make motor it is, not an atv mechanic, that is why I am here seeking help. It has an oil tank so I assume that it is a two stroke? I pulled the plug and connected the wire to it and held it against the motor as I cranked the motor. It has spark. I looked at all the wires I can get to for brakes or loose connections. Found a green wire with a yellow stripe that connected to a module and it has a break in the insulation. Here are some pics that may help. View attachment 139257

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
OK - it's a Dinli two stroke - check the compression - if it's not a bad spark plug it probably needs new rings

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked electric choke wires from the harness as I cranked the motor that is where I got the 3.5 volts. No idea what make motor it is, not an atv mechanic, that is why I am here seeking help. It has an oil tank so I assume that it is a two stroke? I pulled the plug and connected the wire to it and held it against the motor as I cranked the motor. It has spark. I looked at all the wires I can get to for brakes or loose connections. Found a green wire with a yellow stripe that connected to a module and it has a break in the insulation. Here are some pics that may help. View attachment 139257 View attachment 139258 View attachment 139259 View attachment 139261

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is weird is it ran for probably an hour the day it quit with no issues and many other times previously. I could even kick start it which I hadn't been able to do since I initially got it running.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
That is typical of two stroke engines - run fine till cooled down and then won't start again due to low compression - sometimes get them started one more time with starting fluid, but they quickly reach a point where they simplt do not have enough compression to run - in order to rule it out, what is the compression?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts