Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Miles on an atv don't matter. The things you do in the mileage is what kills the atv. A Polaris has a little more maintaince because it has an engine on it that actually puts horsepower to the wheels. Anytime you have horsepower you will have some poblems. All of those parts on this atv did not wear out at one time. I say it is up the owner to maintain the atv.
I think this is a troll.
A Polaris has grease alemites on it. Put some grease in them from time to time.
Those Yama's and Honda's ride like a log wagon to.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the world of Polaris. They make nice quad's and SXS but there quality sucks and there made cheap. If you ride in any mud plan on replacing your a arm bushings all the time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I dont know why everbody attacks somebody for being pissed about Polaris machines not holding up. SO WHAT if he rode it hard or in mud or water or what ever. FACT IS Polaris Sportsmans (XP or not) do not hold up as well as a Grizzly, King Quad, or Rincons (not including trans on the rincon). Im talking chassis problems. I work at a Polaris dealer. I work with Polaris EVERY day and its non stop repairs on all the items the OP is ranting about.

The dealer I work at is also a Yamaha dealer. We will do 10 polaris warranty claims to every 1 for yamaha. Polaris usually points the finger at the rider saying they did something wrong. Yamaha has even taken care of things they shouldnt have, just so they dont have a bad customer. Im the mechanic who actually does the work. Im not just slamming polaris. I bought a 2010 550 and an 11 800. Im thinking about getting a 850 HO now that the breather issue seems to be worked out. I currently own a polaris.

To the OP, you are 100% justified in your complaint. 1100 miles would not even put a dent in a grizz or king quad. These machines do not start to see this sort of problems until upwards of 2500 miles. Its so bad that when a Polaris comes in on trade and has more than 2000 miles it goes directly to the Auction cause it cost too much to fix everthing thats wrong. A Grizz or king comes in at 2000 miles it might need a tie rod end or a wheel bearing at most. The high mileages Polaris machines are downright floppy. Loose wheel bearings, a-arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, U-joints and drive shaft yokes. The yokes are soo loose by 2000 miles you have to buy a whole new drive shaft. I could go on and on but I think ive pretty much said how it is.

And all of you taking about grease, The grizzly or king quad have no grease fittings. If you take a sportsman, Grizzly, and King quad and run them in the same trail, mud, water, sand, baby them, abuse the snot out of them. The Polaris will be the first to have problems. You could probly repair those problem and it will have them again before the Grizz or king have a single issue.

People who say they have zero problems with your Sportsmans are either lying or never ride them. I (and other people around here) USE their machines. Trails of mud, rocks, water, sand, dust, snow, ice you name it. Its what these machines are made for. Do you really think a machine needs locked 4wd with low range, twelve inches of ground clearance and 77hp so you can plow some dam snow, pull a cart with some wood, or go hunting, ect? People who RIDE there polaris machines will always need to fix them and thats the way it is.

All you guys out west riding the deserts and open mountain trails with twelve tanks of extra fuel and water, you mileage does not count for obvious reasons.

Again, I ride polaris. I like the machines, I like the handling and ride. I also am thinking about getting an 850 HO. Im not just a polaris hater. I speak from first hand experience from the workplace and as a user. I dont mind making these minor repairs.

I wish I had footage of some of the IRATE red faced pissed off people bringing there machines back. You have to explain them that the reason there machine needs all this money dumped into it at 1500 miles is cause its the nature of a Polaris. Its either that or tell them its there fault and that would be a lie.
VERY well said ThomasJ......those are the facts! I really like Polaris but I too call a spade........ a spade!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2012 850 xp eps with around 9 hrs and about 70 miles ...that being said now i'm like s.o.b i thought this would be average maintenance, oil change, grease,air filter etc. not an in depth wrenching every thousand miles. Is there not aftermarket ball joints,bushings,bearings etc. that would extend the life of these parts?...even if its a premium price for the parts,, i don't care , I barely have enough time to ride as is, so dont want to be working on it all the time. oorrr do i need to sell the xp accept my lossses and go get the yama grizzly?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a 2012 850 xp eps with around 9 hrs and about 70 miles ...that being said now i'm like s.o.b i thought this would be average maintenance, oil change, grease,air filter etc. not an in depth wrenching every thousand miles. Is there not aftermarket ball joints,bushings,bearings etc. that would extend the life of these parts?...even if its a premium price for the parts,, i don't care , I barely have enough time to ride as is, so dont want to be working on it all the time. oorrr do i need to sell the xp accept my lossses and go get the yama grizzly?
As having the rating of #1 selling ATV...... "You can't believe everything you read on the internet!!"

Problems happen, not every machine has issues. Some report 4000+ miles with no issues. It's all in the use, abuse and maintainance of your equipment. I find it hard to believe all of these parts failed at one time with propper maintanance!!!!

Not saying this owner doesn't have problems or concerns. But I'd be willing to bet we don't know the "whole story" either..... rode in mud, sand, dirt, never maintained, greased, built on Friday or Monday and so on. Fact is he has issues with his quad. So either take it up with Polaris, your atterny, or come here adn ask for help...... But don't :motz:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Here is a suggestion and consider this, i have cryo frozen parts when i built a 383 d-stroked motor for my 91 silverado stepside as i was pushing 500hp. Mind you, this can get expensive as i had the crank, rods, and even the pistons done and used this truck as a daily driver for 5 years and never had a single motor problem.

Im a firm believer in cryo freezing parts to strengthen them...i am already planning on getting a set of ball joints for the wifes 550 an having them froze so when hers start to go, slap them on and get 3 times the life out of them!

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I bought my RZR I new what I was getting into. It was what I wanted and only Polaris makes it.So i'm stuck with it until some other company makes something like it.
Here's a little list of things to come - Bushings, balljoints , tierod ends , hubs , bushings , shock bushings ,circut brakers, motor mounts, shocks, and more bushings.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well...when I had to change out my front right wheel bearing in my 2006, I asked here for which brand to get (got no answer) and googled it. About the best comments I found was "these last as long as OEM and are cheaper." That said, I don't know how you can blame Polaris for a bearing going bad if there is not one that stands out as being noticeably better. Also, I have worked on a friend's Yamaha ATV. When done, I had a hard time aligning the front end so it would drive acceptably due to all the slop in the front end. I know all his tie rod ends had slop in them...I don't know if any of it was caused by anything else.

As to ball joints, from what I have read, a lot of after market ones don't have a hole in the bottom of the cup to allow the grease to get from the Zert to the ball joint. So I guess they are supposed to be maintenance free. I think I would stick to ones I could grease, or drill a hole in the cup of an aftermarket one so I can still grease it.

Polaris sales are tied with Yamaha...so I can't see one being noticeably better than the other. If Yamaha was that much better than Polaris, their sales would reflect it. Personally, with a choice between those two, I will keep my money here in the USA and buy Polaris. I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

BTW, Honda sales outpaced both Polaris and Yamaha. If you want to point fingers at a bike and say, "it is better than Polaris"...I would pick Honda. At least their sales supports the comment.

Sean

·
Registered
721 Posts
My OEM bushings and lower ball joints were all shot around 200 miles of trail riding. I replaced my bushings with a complete set made by jcapri (he's a user on this web forum).

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is all good info to know. It just sucks to know that parts go out with very lil miles on these machines.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My 800touring in 20,000 miles has had 4 belts 1 fan 2 light bulbs shift sensor and a new frame. Bike got the shit kick out of it and still running. Also all bushing bearings ball joints things like that where replaced at 12,000 just because I wanted to.

Ny point is that there not all bad

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gotta pay if you wanna play.

If you got into the sport cause you thought it was cheap i suggest you take up knitting.

Sent while not working too hard

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gotta pay if you wanna play.

If you got into the sport cause you thought it was cheap i suggest you take up knitting.

Sent while not working too hard
Oh crap! Don't say that. I took up atv'ing because I couldn't afford to knit anymore:ponder:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2010 850 touring.. same grease points etc.. I have the identical # of miles on mine.. I've worked my pwr steering and suspension hard for plenty of big slow rocky miles and have hit my share of mud and water (though I don't necc go looking for it).. All I can say is my battery - bushings - bearings etc are still like new..
Battery goes on a tender every winter and all grease points get a shot every 200km's whether in water or not..
No one on the forum can possibly know how the poster rides..Only he knows, so I won't make assumptions.. Just sayin'.. if you jump it - sink it - hit every mud hole you can find and spin the tires at 6000rpm without mods.. Its gonna cost you.. No one ever said, spend $9 or $10k and you're done.. Its a pay to play hobbie.. It will never stop costing you money until you sell it..

Well, that covers my thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Boat Anchor

Well thanks for the replies,to answer as to what I rode before this was a 26 foot wellcraft nova! I guess polaris is for sale I ain't gonna put up with workin on it all the time....And I'm sorry if some of ya think I wrote this to get ya rilled up! Just wonderd if I was the only one Suckered into buyin a piece of Shit...always had honda dirt bikes as a kid should of stuck with them! I thought polaris was a good machine Thats What I Get 4 Thinkin......:nixweiss:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it! Going back to Honda is a safe bet!
I got a little excited because I'm with you on thinking that the bike you bought is junk.....an awful lot of money spent.....Oh well, you're doing the right thing!

Take care......

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I do agree with you guys that the way you ride does contribute to the wear on parts but these are ATV's, not a car or truck. They should be able to take some abuse.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts