Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 90cc sportman hasn't been running well all last year. he could sometimes ride for a few minutes with out problems but most of the time the RPM's wouldn't get high engough to engage the clutch. the throtel would only silghtly rev the engien above, idel even wide open. We put it away for the winter. This spring we pulled it out and now it will only start and run for 15 seconds if the throttle is wide open. after 15 seconds it stalls and wont start again until a few hours later, where it again only runs for 15 seconds.

Here's what I've done so far
New battery
New Fuel
Carb cleaned and all jets and passages clear
New spark plug(same type that was in there)
No leaks around intake
compresion check 45 psi (I replaced cylinder, piston , rings,)now have 115psi

I having the same problems
Im now thinking I might have bad crank seals, but I would like the forums ideas before I tear into this thing again. Thanks -Duncan

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Good fuel flow to the carb. ?
Camshaft in time? This needs to be checked WITH the chain tensioner installed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
make sure your floats aren't installed upside down in the carb this would cause the fuel to not be drawn into the bowl. it happened to my nephews 4 wheeler, on the brand new carb we bought floats were installed upside down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good fuel flow to the carb. ?
Camshaft in time? This needs to be checked WITH the chain tensioner installed.
The petcock and fuel filter are clear and I have plenty of fuel flowing to the carb. This motor is a two stroke so thete is no Cam shaft t check. thanks for the ideas, keep them coming and I should be able to get this running like it use to. -Duncan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts