Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90cc 2006 sportsman for my son. 2 stroke. it wouldn't start after about 1 week of sitting. i bought this in the spring so not sure when carbs were last cleaned (prob never).

i check and had good spark, still wouldnt start. i put in new spark plug, no luck.

i put starter fluid in cylender and it would start right up and then die out in a few seconds.

i concluded carb needed cleaned probably plugged up.

i pulled both jets out and they did look plugged up some so i cleaned them.

i put everything back together.

still didn't start but i figured maybe the fuel didn't get through the lines yet from draining the carb.

i put some more starter fluid in cyclinder. started right up and stayed running. however it was a surging idle not a smooth one. (errrn errrrn errrn,, etc)

i got on it and hit the gas it has SUPER SUPER SUPER quick throttle respose. way to much for my son to handle and i don't think it is suppose to run like that.

my guess is that since i cleaned the carbs maybe now its getting more fuel than it was and i have to adjust carberator?? if that sounds right then i'll trying adjusting the carb screw, if not please give me some ideas on whats going on with it.

oh yeah i rode it a little in the yard not a lot and it did back fire once i think.

thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:xmas:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok heres an update.
if i block some of the air filter exit pipe about 70% the idle goes back to normal but then if i hit the throttle nothing happens. if i don't block the air filter exit then it idles not smoth and way to high but i can use the throttle and it will drive but super responsive and it backfires.

i'm going to take carberatur apart again i'm starting to think the needle slide is not working for some reason and i put something back together wrong.

any help or ideas would be great,

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like it is running lean.

Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i solved the mystery.

It boils down to operator error.

when i cleaned the carberatur i was going to pull the entire carb out but then i didn't feel like pulling the fuel line off and oil line so i just took the bottom off and cleaned the two jets.

well i did take off the throttle part. when i put that back in and had the cylender like tube slide down i had it the wrong way and it was blocked. it never slide down. so i figured it out as i looked into the carb from where the air filter attachs and when i hit throttle with quad off i didn't see anything lift up or down so i knew something was different.

i took that off turned the tube 180 degrees so the cynlinder around throttle cable could slide freely down into the cylender (one side has slit only half way down, the other all the way).

presto, put back together and now it purrs like a kitten.

hope this stupidity helps someone, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts