Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 350L 4x4 that runs great for about a 100yds and then starts to bog. Hold the throttle, it will bog and die as if it is out of gas. If you let off it idles fine. Idle around for a couple of minutes, throttle up again for about another 100yds, bogs down. It always starts right up and will go on all day at idle speed, never missing a lick. The following is what I have done:
Gone through the carb, new needle and seat, all passages clear,clean, flowing
Verified air flow to carb (ran without air box), Good suction & no blow back
New reed cage boot and gaskets, New Spark Plug (old plug looked good) Spark is good and blue, Compression checked 110psi, All vents clear
Verified sufficient fuel flow with now restrictions (used external source)
Verified the the exhaust is not restricted (ran w/o exhaust)
Verified the the speed limit switch is operating properly

For that 100yds, it is a beast and then booooooooog. I am stumped.
Anyone had this issue? Any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: Sounds indeed like its running out of fuel!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and glad to be on the baord. Thought we had checked that vent, but will check it again this week end and get back with the results. Thanks again for the input. Roc5950

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine does it too. OCCASIONALLY. whenever it does it, i have to hold down the reverse overide button. which SUCKSS. sometimes i only have to hold it for about 30 seconds. yesterday, i had to hold it the whole ride!! broken thumbbb. someone helpp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Didn't have time this weekend to check out the tank vent again. Will try the reverse switch too when I get back to it. Hopefully this week sometime. Roc5950

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay getting back. Work took me out of town. Checked the tank vent and even ran it will an auxilary tank, no change, still bogging. Tried holding reverse switch,same results. Recheck the ignition, readings are close to the book but a little off, example: book says .o ohm, mine is .5, figured it was my meter. Fire is blue and strong, will jump a 3/8 gap at idle. Any new ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Roc5950

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
And you do have the vent hoses hooked up proper,and they are clear?
Check the needle ,that goes into the main jet,to see if the c-clip didn't fall off.
Check coil wire resistance and plug cap,especially cap
You've ran this thing without the air filter housing,did it sound like it was shutting off(spark) or did it sound like it was wanting more ,but you didn't have anymore to give it (fuel)
Check for broken motor mounts and proper clutch operation

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I'm not too much on 2 strokes. I read in a Polaris service manual for a 1996-1998 Model 2 stroke that the service limit on compression is 115 psi. You said yours had 110 psi. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All vent hoses are clear and proper.
Will have to double check the cap and coil wire.
Clip is on the needle.
It sounds like it not getting fuel or running out.
Have an inline spark checker on it, fire in the tube is brite orange, at half to full throttle, as it starts to bog it dims just a little, but does not seem to stop or miss fire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd like to know what causes this too. I have a 1993 350 2X4, that does the EXACT same thing, but only intermittently.

Starts up cold with no problems, and will idle all day long. You can drive at slow speeds too all day long, no problem. Lo and Hi range make no difference. But once you try to go fast, say above 20 MPH, it starts bogging out, like it runs out of fuel. If you pull the gas line off right after it dies out, the line is bone dry. 4 wheeler will fire right back up, you can go slow all day. I am wondering can a bad petcock cause this?

Here are the things i have done to it in the past year: 4 wheeler is 75% new, only thing original is the crank bearings and rod.

New: Piston/Rings/Top End, New Top End Gaskets
New: Carbuerator (From PolarisPartsHouse.com)
New: Spark plug, ignition coil

Replaced: Front Tires, Rear Tires
Replaced: Plastic/Fenders (mine were faded pink bought a new set from ebay that are LIKE NEW from a 1994 year)

Would love to know what is causing this bogging issue. This 4 wheeler is great around the farm, hauling wood, etc... But i can't go on trail rides because of the bogging issue. Much help appreciated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts