Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get the hand lever brake to work. The Foot petal works. The Reservoir is full of fluid. When the top is off teh reservoir and I slightly squeeze the hand brake I can see the fluid move. I am not sure what the next step is to fixing it. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a rubber diffuser plug with a washer in it pressed into the bottom of the reservoir (unless someone has taken it out in the past 20 some years). On the bottom of the reservoir inside the area where the plug sits are two small holes, one slightly larger than the other. Over time these holes catch debris and crystalized fluid and plug up. You need to make sure both these holes are clear by sticking a dental pick or safety pin in them to open them. Slowly depress and release the brake lever several times. If air bubbles return continue until they quit or look for a cracked brake line.

Inspect the calipers for leaks, the o-rings on the caliper pistons go bad over time and don't seal well enough to build pressure.

The hand brake controls all 3 brake calipers on the bike. You can next bleed all 3 of them starting with the rear brake on the gear case then the front right and finally the front left. Having someone help you will make it easier. If this fails to get pressure back then you need to replace the plunger seal and o-rings in the master cylinder or just replace the master cylinder with a new one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Insp1505 is correct you first need to make sure there are no leaks in your system. Also brake fluid needs to be changed every so often because of debris and moisture. I had a 98 sportsman I was working on do the same. If no leaks in your system, try using a c- clamp to depress the piston in the calipers. Then pump the brake lever. But not to far because u don't want the piston popping out of the caliper. Do one caliper at a time. Start with the rear. I had to pump the lever and calipers back and fourth for like a hour. But I finally got out whatever was blocking the lines. If u free up the lines then change your brake fluid. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currently have a similar problem with my 94 2 stroke 300 4x4. I have the one piece aluminum master cylinder that was full of gunk. How do I remove the piston assembly from the bottom of it? Also, was there ever a rubber boot covering the handle/piston area? I hope I can find a rebuild kit for it. The bike runs like a top, but the front brakes don't work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
pigfish you may not need to rebuild the master cylinder unless its leaking. if leaking then rebuild it or get a new one. if no leaks then there is probably just gunk in the system. brake fluid should be changed every now and then. i would first starts by sucking out all the fluid in the cylinder and replace it with new fluid. then i would pump the calipers and master cylinder back and fourth several times until the piston on the master is fully extended to the hand lever. no there is not a rubber boot covering the piston at the brake lever, there is a seal there that the piston slides into. start withe the rear caliper, then the front right. then front left. let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the previous info, Rsparky227.

I drained what little brake fluid there was out of the system. I cleaned all of the caliper parts and everything can now move. I still can't remove the piston from the master cylinder. What gives? All of the fluid/gunk have been cleaned out, the unit removed from the handlebars, and the hand lever/parking brake removed. The piston still will not budge from the unit! My shop manual says nothing about there being a retaining ring holding the piston in place. Is there one? The piston moves freely inside the unit, but will not come out. What am I missing? I don't want to put it all back together if I need to rebuild the master, and I figured that since I have it all apart I should rebuild it anyway. It is 21 years old!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Put a punch into the hole where the brake hose screws in so it contacts the face of the piston. Stand the master cylinder in a vise or on a large socket in a way so that when you hit the punch the piston has room to come out of the end where the lever attaches. Be careful to keep the punch centered, if it scrapes the wall and leaves a gouge it is ruined and you'll have to replace the whole unit. You have to hit it pretty soundly to get it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man that stinks your piston on the master won't budge. But like you said the bike is old and it can't hurt. I would try to use a brass punch ( if you can find one) to knock out the piston. It's less likely to scar the cylinder. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So far, the score is: piston 2 - punches 0. I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow and let the guys in our R&D department have at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok after I changed the fluid and got all the air out of the lines I now have pressure in the brake lever. All the brakes are working and have been for a few rides now. No major parts were needed replacing. Only problem I ran into was I broke a wheel stud off the front. Called dealers and looked online and can't find a replacement. Part discontinued.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the wheel studs are the same from 1992-2010. Search the store. Fix My Toys .That's where I got my new studs from. He's also a supporting member on this form I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That stud says it was for rear wheel. Will it also work for front wheel? Front is what I need

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah it will work on the front also. they are all the same. just make sure the ones on your bike look like the one pictured. you can knock them out with a rubber hammer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally got my piston apart and replaced all of the seals. The system is currently back together and I am working on getting the system to pressure up. Is this anything like car brakes where you have to pump them about a thousand times before pressure returns?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the system back up to pressure. I got nothing in the front left, but the front right works fine. Rear is working, but may have a leak. I'll work the front left piston in/out some and see if it helps. I also fixed a front suspension issue, an oil leak, and replaced the headlight. She's slowly coming back to life!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the blockage out of the front left by running a piece of fence wire up the brake line. So, all 3 brake lines work. Where can I get some caliper rebuild kits? My rear caliper definitely has a leak.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's great you got all that crap out of the line. It's recommended to change brake fluid every two years for that reason. Sorry I don't know where to get a rebuild kit for the rear caliper. U might have to do some searching. Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts