Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 polaris trail boss 350 liquid cooled 4x4, I got it from my brother who is a Not-so-accomplished wrench turner. Well when I got it from him, he had told me that the "Ignition Coil" was the reason the engine turns and turns, but will not fire. I of course tried to crank it, and sure enough, sounds like no fire, I stripped all the body panels, and checked the coil "The Screwdriver Method" and it was firing like crazy. So I think it is fairly safe to exclude the coil as the culprit. I pulled the plug, and it was BAD. all gummy and the "Hook and the Pin" were making contact. I took gasoline and a wire brush and cleaned it up, and tried to crank again. Motor turns and turns, but sounds like no fire... I am going to try getting a spark plug for it, but is there anything else I should be looking for ?

Thanks guys, new to owning a ATV and want to get it back in good order.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get a
New
Plug, they're 2 bucks at auto zone and replace it. Then remove plug from cylinder head and lay it against the head where it can make contact. Turn engine over and check visually for spark. Easiest way to determine if your getting spark or not. Then the only other things are compression and fuel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where I am now

I got a new plug and it is firing like crazy. But the top pf my piston appears dry. I took the carb out and stripped it down and cleaned it out, and same thing. So I am assuming the piece between my carb and the firing chamber has to be some sort of intake/exaust valves. I guess that is my next stop. I am not very experienced with ATV engines, and not sure if my line of thinking is correct or not . . .:hmmm:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally, Id put a brand new plug in, and put some gas in the top of the cylinder. If it fires, you're good to go, if not, you have a spark issue (or air issue, which probably isnt the problem).

So if it fires when you put gas in the cylinder, but wont start on its own, you have a fuel issue. Clean your carb, make sure everything is un-plugged, and needle/seat valve are good.

These engines aren't rocket science!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts