Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got the top end apart . The piston and cylinder look alright . A few lines (scorch marks from over heating?) but I guess they are alright . But muddy coolant oil mix is everywhere. What can I clean it with

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Scorch marks on a two stroke is somewhat normal - they are not tight engines - you should have the cylinder measured, check the piston size and brand - plan on installing new rings at the least, possibly a new piston, rings and wrist pin bearing. Best thing to clean the mud (coolant/oil mix) is probably mineral spirits.

Do you need the service manual?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok thanks . Yeah it ran really good and strong before it Randomly died so hopefully not too much is damaged . And hopefully it will run again lol Yes could you send me the service manual . You sent it before but I cannot find it in my email anywhere .
Also does the fly wheel have to come off to get to the water pump seals ?

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Yes, the flywheel has to come off

You will have to PM me the email address again - I don't keep anything in the sent folder over 30 days and the trash is emptied daily.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I use a harmonic balance puller and 3 foot long pieces of 8-1.25 mm threaded stainless alloy rod 3 metric flange nuts and 3 heavy (thick) 8 mm or 5/16 flat washers - pops off easily when tightening the puller bolt with an air powered impact tool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found the harmonic balancer puller your talking about going to go get one . This is a dumb question but , should I pull the engine off the frame ? I have been working on it on the frame

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
NO! That will break the flywheel or the magnets in the flywheel - you will do less damage with a wooden pry to pry the flywheel away from the engine and striking the end off the crankshaft with a brass, copper or lead hammer.

Here's what I use - I have two push bolts, one pointer to go into the dead center of the crank and the swivel footed one for pushing on the flat OD of a hollow (internal threaded) crankshaft.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
You might see if you can get the cover off over the nut and if not, then remove the nut.

You can use a hammer and chisel to get the nut off, but you will need the tool if you tighten the nut with a torque wrench - otherwise you just use a hammer and chisel and guess if it is tight - the spanner is sold on Ebay at a reduced cost over the $101 OEM Polaris tool - if you are on good relations with the local Polaris dealer, they might let you borrow their socket or take it off and put it on for you - I would let you borrow my tool for the cost of postage, but I would require a $100 deposit in case you didn't return it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The special nut was so loose I took it off by hand ... finally got it all broken down . Gaskets looked like they were breaking down pretty bad and the bearings don’t look great either . What can I use to clean the mess up with ???

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Mineral Spirits will cut the oil and coolant mess - I have a sonic cleaner with a special aluminum detergent that does a stellar job. You need to get the engine out of the frame - you will need to replace the main bearings and seals too. For heavy duty cleaning, I glass bead the castings to make them look like new.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts