Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. Just picked up a '95 425 Magnum, and it won't start. I'm going to start with cleaning the carb, but just figured maybe someone could shed some light on it. No gas in the oil, good compression, it'll backfire and make a few poofs every now and then with carb cleaner sprayed in it. Got real good spark, but the plug was completely black with crud. My dad was thinking it was timing related or the exhaust lobe. Hoping it ain't nothing too bad.

Can y'all think of anywhere else I should check while it's apart? (bought the bike in pieces, lol)

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. Exhaust lobe is pretty well known for wearing, so your dad is possibly right.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the rain finally stopped long enough we popped the carb off and put it in a bath, and looked under the valve cover, all seemed good. The carb was gummed all up, but even with carb cleaner and some brake cleaner, all she did was pop and backfire. So, next is gonna be reassembly of the carb, try again with some actual gas; and then if all else fails, play with the timing a bit.

Bought the bike in pieces for 300, with all the plastics and everything cept the motor in good condition so even right now I can't complain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so we adjusted the timing, lobes are good, got good compression, spark, and rebuilt the carb still just wants to backfire. Now things are getting interesting. Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I go about bypassing the ETC to see if that's the problem? I know mine is all screwed up, comparing it to my other 425.

Like I said, all she wants to do is crank crank crank, with a backfire every now and then (it also loves to blow gas back out into the carb and sometimes flames woohoo.

Got good spark, but could the stator be an issue? The flywheel was awful rusty.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Might be a split wood ruff key on the flywheel. Did you pull the flywheel off??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Could have jumped timing also.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
is that a picture of the ETC/ you can see that the points are mesed up, that s probably your problem, should be able to hook those two wires together to by pass it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts