Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
95 700 Sportsman intermittent pod failure "FIXED"

Hello all, just joined the forum and have a problem I hope I can find help with. I have a 93 700 Twin Sportsman, I have been using it for plowing snow in Iowa (Lot's of snow this year). Recently I have noticed that the speedo in the pod seems to intermittently go blank and reset while I am using the ATV. The engine is running just fine, but when the speedo goes through this reset the AWD no longer is engaged. Once the speedo has reset and I can see the readings all is working again.

When I am in neutral the speedo stays on, I can rev the engine and all seems good, but when I put in forward or reverse then I start seeing the speedo display go blank, it will stay like that then I see it come back and reset (Like when I first turn on the engine).

I have opened the pod and removed and reconnected the connectors, but it still keeps doing it. I feel it may be a bad ground or something loose because it happen mostly when I am plowing and the ATV is being jolted. Any help would be very helpful.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
my guess, is that probably one of the solders somewhere on the chip board inside the speedo has broken lose over the times. at rest, it is connected, but when bouncing around the broken solder connetions moves just enough to probably loose ground, like you said. and the AWD is dependant on that speedometer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem, broken ground wire at the main chassis ground point. It had broken right at the terminal so when I was operating the vehicle it was vibrating and touching the ground, then vibrating loose again, thus the intermittent function.

Put on a new terminal end and reattached to the ground point, problem fixed. I tie wrapped the wiring harness minimizing future wire play when riding...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts