Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought it he said it just started acting up. Most of the time it will start and run and drive forword But when you push the override button it kills spark but it does not do it every time. Some times it will shut of just standing still doing nothing. It will always start back up. You MUST push the override button in in order to put it in rev other wise it will die. When it runs it runs good. If you try to keep the rev's up when it dies if you either flick the start switch or flip the kill switch to off and then back on it wil regain spark again and stay running. The throttle safty switch was unpluged from the main bord in front of the bars. I cleaned the contacts on the override/kill swith. It will always restart but might die right away but if you flick either switch it will regain spark. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
if i can get a vin i can run it to see if there are any service bulletins or recalls on your machine. we can start there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i can get a vin i can run it to see if there are any service bulletins or recalls on your machine. we can start there
serial number is 2520140
modle number is W959140

I just started it up and everything was just fine except it still stalls when put in reverse unless the over ride button is pushed. It should go into reverse with it that being pushed right? that is just a speed goveren right? The reverse light comes on when in rev and the nutral light goes out when in gear so that switch should also be fine. Where going to get snow on monday so Im hopeing to figure it out soon. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
you do have one bulletin on this machine but it looks like it would be unrelated to your problem. yes it should go into reverse without having to press in the override button. the override button really does two things in reverse. it takes away the rev limiter, and it also is suppose to engage 4x4 if the toggle switch is in 4x4.

taking a guess here, im going to guess it is either a ECU or a voltage regulator, and im leaning more to the voltage regulator side. they do go bad after time, it is just the nature of part. and a voltage regulator would be much cheaper. if you have a good dealer nearby, see if they have any machines they could swap voltage regulators and or ECU units to see if it solves your problem. both are hard to test without just trying in a new one that you know works.

let me know!
Bulletins Completed Bulletin Description Bulletin Type Bulletin Status
No Bulletins have been completed on this unit.

Other Bulletins Bulletin Description Bulletin Type Bulletin Status
ATV-95-02 LEAKING FRONT AXEL HUB / NUT REGULAR BULLETIN Review bulletin to see if it applies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should be able to read voltage right at the battery and see whats it doing when it dies right. What should it stay around? If it is the reg why would it die in reverse if the override is not pushed? Also where in the heck is the ecu mounted? Thanks again

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yes, you can read voltage at the battery. 12.5~12.6V fully charged battery, machine off, 14~15V machine on at idle no throttle, but i dont think thats going to tell you anything here.

this is getting a little bit over my head. the tech side of what i know is more about common problems and symptoms of bad parts that i have learned from working the parts counter. our mechanic taught me as much as he could, but if you were a walk in customer with this problem i would have sent you to our service manager as i am just not sure.

what our mechanic did show me is this. every different gear (H,L,N,R) has its own unique ohm readout. i dont know where to test the ohm readout on your machine, but the 05's and newer will show you to ohm readout on the display below the speedo pod if its in diagnostic mode. he said that checking the ohms for each gear was a good way to quickly see if a certain gear might be causing an electrical problem. something of this nature might be your issue. the override button is an electrical button, so by holding that in, it might be changing the ohms enough to not kill the machine when it goes into reverse. again, i am not a mechanic, so this is my best guess.

the voltage regulator's job is just what its name implies. when the machine is running, and you are on the throttle, you can see as hight as 16~18V. way more then the machine actually needs. since energy can not be created or destroyed, the excess volts must be converted. in this case the excess volts are converted to heat inside of the volt reg. and air moving through the cooling fins remove the heat into the air. of course, heat is the enemy of electrical parts, which is why these things will usually always fail after some time. if it has failed, it would not be regulating the entire system right, including ohms. i say this because i have personally put in new voltage regulators in older machines. the problem was this machine would die on its own after just a few minutes of idle, and the volt. reg was the issue.

the ECU does not fail very often. the only polaris ECU that have failed were the ones that got the recall last summer. i would be really surprised if the ECU is bad, so dont spend you money on just buying a new one, they are usually pretty expensive. i dont know for sure on your machine where the ECU is, but on all the ECU's i replaced under the recall on all the various machines, they were always mounted in the front. ECUs are "impossible" to test 100% for failure. there are a few test a shop or you can do (i dont know how) but a failed ECU can still past these test. at out shop, if we susupected the ECU could have failed, we would pull and ECU out of a machine that we knew worked, and swap it in to the problem machine to see if the problem went away or not, thats the only sure fire way to test an ECU

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
there was someone having this sort of problem in one of the past forums.with the kill switch,i believe someone said to unhook the black wire,someplace down below by the motor,if it runs ok after that then it is the kill switch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fired it up twice today and it was fine beside's haveing to push the over ride to get reverse to work. My buddy also said he thinks it might be the kill switch but i pulled it all apart and it looked good but I cleaned the contacts anyway. When its not acting up I can wiggle the switch and it stays running. Some days are good and some are bad. lol I got to wait for it to act up so I can start checking some of this stuff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
unhook the black wire from the rev box, they will do funny things when they go bad, just unhook it and your done, but it will not govern in reverse anymore

·
Registered
483 Posts
Correction it is the speed limiter, disconnect the black. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there was a short in the wires by the steering stem. I did not find it yet but that was what it was. And for the rev problem I just disconected the reverse wire from the salector switch and hooked it up to where the forward wire goes so it thinks its just going forward now all the time lol thanks for all your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts