Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a strange issue with a used 95 magnum 425 I recently purchased as a project.. So here's what I know about it and where I'm at with it!

Right off the bad I noticed the ETC wires were cut bypassing the switch. So I left that disconnected figuring I could just adjust the switch and reconnect the wires after she's running smooth.!! So I did a compression test[145psi] :) then I tried to fire it up and as it cranked it had great spark but the second it fires it looses spark?? So after some messing around I connected the 2 ETC wires together and the thing fired up and ran great.WTF!!! After a few minutes it started bogging and died and would not start at all.. I disconnected the ETC wires and it fired up again no issues. That happend a few times in the last 2 days.:(

So as it sits right now she fires up easy and runs great for now so it's kind of making it hard to diagnose:(

Also it still runs with or without the ETC wires connected so I really don't know what's going on there :(.

Anyone had similar issues or a good starting point before I really dig into it??

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Eliminate all kill issues by disconnecting the black wire from the CDI unit - and check for spark - if spark is still intermittent, then go for connections, continuity and outputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
today it's been getting good spark all day. I already tried disconnecting the black wire at cdi eariler and the only difference was I couldn't shut off the engine with key or red switch until the black wire was plugged back in.. The main issue I'm trying to figure out is why the ETC won't kill my engine like it should when I close the ETC circuit??

What will happen is the atv will quit getting spark for no reason so the only to make it run is to either open the etc circuit or close the etc circuit. It's strange because it will run one day with etc circuit open then the next day the etc circuit needs to be closed!!

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
You have a faulty reverse speed limiter unit - find the unit and disconnect just the black wire and and connect the ETC switch as it is supposed to be - see what happens and let me know - the ETC switch provides 12v to the speed limiter when the contacts in the throttle connect and the black wire from the limiter is supposed to cut ignition momentarily to limit engine RPM - with the black wire disconnected, it cannot kill spark even if the ETC switch closes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disconnected the black wire at the limiter and that makes no difference what so ever unfortunately :( It still starts idles and revs good and goes into reverse without any issues with or without the ETC connected. Also sofar I haven't lost spark today

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
So you have the kill switch, the key switch and the throttle safety switch all wired like they are supposed to be and all is fine or is the TSS wires still tied together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes as far as I can tell the wiring harness was never messed with except the etc wires were cut by the handle bars. All switches work like they should and etc wires are not connected to eachother

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Leave the black rev limiter wire unplugged and run it for awhile (week or two) with the ETC wires disconnected then after that connect the ETC wires together still leaving the black wire unplugged - if the problem does not resurface, connect the ETC wires back to the switch and see if there is any change - finally, plug the rev limiter black wire back in and see if the problem rears it's ugly head - if it does, either leave the rev limiter unplugged, get a different one or see if Module Master may be able to repair it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I'll give that a go. it will be a bit before I can get to it. I decided to pull the motor and do a bottom end rebuild because I heard a slight noise and I don't like the 36000k the odometer shows. When I get it all back togeather ill look more into it and let you know what I find.

Any recommendations where to buy low cost engine parts? I'm looking for a complete rebuild kit but I'm not having much luck.

Thank you for all your help and pointing me in the right direction.. Much appreciated :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts