Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 95 polaris 400 2 stroke, little backround on it. It use to bog down lots so it sat for about 2 years. I just recently pulled and cleaned the carb (thanks to the 'common carb issues') sticky. Also, added a new plug for good measure (and fresh 91 octane gas). So now my issue is the pull start rope wont go back in, before it would always recoil back in, however, sometimes when you went to pull on it it would just 'snap' back Or other times it wouldnt really want to come out at all. But now the full length of it is just out. O and the electric starter doesnt work. Kinda just makes a spiniing freely noise. Do you guys think it would need just a new recoil deal?

On a side note does anyone know how my clutch should be adjusted? When I did it I think I went to 1/8th free play but im not sure what I was doing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I got my recoil housing off, jeez there was a lot of crap in there. The metal weight looking deal was free in there, seems like it broke off the inside piece. I was just playing with it and it comes out and goes back in nicely now.

I have determined that my starter drive doesnt like to engage, but I wasnt able to figure out how to get it out...does the starter need to be removed in order to get it out?

The starter drive itself does not move freely on its own i had to pull it out for it to turn the flywheel.

Anyone got any tips on getting the drive out without removing the flywheel?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?....i took the bolt of the flywheel today but it didnt want to come out :1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The starter drive comes out the other side when you remove the starter motor that you are going to take out and rebuild so you don't have to pull start it anymore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O okay thank you! i am able to pull the starter drive out by hand and get it to catch the flywheel and start the quad, and the drive goes in by itself. And sometimes the drive comes out itself to grab the flywheel and goes back in, but sometimes the starter drive doesnt come out at all. So do you think i just need a new starter drive? b/c the starteritself seems to be fine?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Might try spraying some WD-40 or rust penetrant into the center of the drive. Sounds like it might just be corroded a little. Buddy

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The factory lube has turned. Pull the recoil then disassemble the recoil spool and clean the dried grease, mud, and bugs out of the recoil assembly. DO NOT cut off the rope it's molded into the handle. If the rope is frayed replace it with the Polaris part because it's your housing seal. Make sure the tiny little ratchet pawl return spring hasn't turned to fine brown powder. I'm not sure I'd trust it if that ratchet spring has any rust.
Fight and curse to spool up the clean recoil spring in the clean cast housing. Spray light lithium or light moly grease on the recoil spring. Then re-assemble the spool and ratchet, cam, and washer to the housing with their own shots of grease.

The electric start motor spools up but doesn't engage... sounds like the Bendix is sticking. You can replace this when you clean and rehab the recoil assembly. Don't loose the thrust washer on the Bendix... It can stick to the recoil housing and then drop through the spaces between the barn floor planks... Don't ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starter or Bendix issue here as well

My 2007 sportsman 500 failed to crank today solinoid just clicks when you turn the key. Ruled out Batt. and connections are tight. I tried tapping on starter as I turned the key and finally the starter engaged briefly but sounded bad. You think its Bendix or Starter? Thanks so much for any help you could provide.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Starter motor brushes. Pull it out and pull the end off and you wlll see. It's easiest just to replace them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts