Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 sportsman 400 that I have been working on to sell. I have nearly all the problems taken care of except for the hard starting. If it is inside, 65 degree temperature it probably takes 2 minutes of cranking. With the choke on, it will crank for about 30 seconds before it ever makes an attempt to fire. Stopping, holding and cranking a little longer and it will turn over several times. Eventually it stays running rough and after about 2min it smooths out. With the choke off, it never gets to a point of turning over. Pulling the throttle in does not help it to fire at all. Once it starts up, it runs just fine.

Additionally in below 50degree temps, I can not get it to fire at all. However, a little squirt of ether in the air cleaner and it starts up just fine, does not die out, and will continue to run on the gas.

I'm not sure where to start on this. Fuel seems to flow just fine once it is started up. Carburetor also seems to be fine once it is running. Does anyone have some suggestions on what to do? If I was keeping it, I'd just keep the can of ether available. Selling it though, a potential buyer doesn't want to hear that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Russ_C, I will check that out. I would be somewhat surprised though that it would run so well once started if compression was bad. How much does it cost to rebuild the top end on one of these?

Additionally I forgot to mention, if it's warm in summer, 75 or higher, it starts up nearly instantly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts