Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!
My boyfriend got a 95 sportsman 4x4 and recently it started having issues starting. Brought it somewhere and they said the relay fried the computer. He didn’t get the name or part number of the computer. Does anyone know what the computer part is called? I want to replace it even though the shop said it’s not worth it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
There is no computer on a 95 sportsman - it has an electronic ignition module, but I can't fry - it is not connected to the battery - and there is no relay to fry anything unless it has a relay for a winch. Sounds to me like an experienced mechanic needs to look at it and determine what is good and what is bad.

I will do my best to help you with it if you can tell me what the limit of your mechanical aptitude is.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Can’t say for sure that they had a computer at that age. All the early ones I have seen just had a circuit board under the plastic in front of the fuel tank. Voltage regulator too and probably a reverse limiter module. Have to look at a wiring diagram to be sure.
What kind of issues was it having?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

·
9,484 Posts
Yep, you need to take it to someone that knows what they are talking about. There is no "computer" or related relay to fry it on that machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is pretty mechanical just not good with electrical. He said the guy said the accessory wire fried the whole electrical system... said that every part that is connected to the electrical will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
If someone installed an accessory and wired it incorrectly, then there is the possibility that things burnt out including the wiring. It would be nice to see it to determine what the problem is (or was). Most anything can be fixed - just start at the beginning - if the battery is good, is there power to the key switch? Now keep in mind, the ignition system is separate from the electrical system - if you unplug the key switch, the lights and starter motor won't work, but with the handlebar switch in the run position, the spark plug should have spark - the battery is only to make the lights and starter motor work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m sorry I am trying to relay the issues through my boyfriend to you. The ATV is automatic also. The ATV will only turn over if you jump the starter solenoid but there is no lights at all and will not run. Says there is a short circuiting in the wire harness.

this is what I have seen him do to the atv
  • bypass 4 wheel drive( there was no 4 wheel drive so moved some electrical around I guess)
  • old starter solenoid appeared to blow( no lights and wouldn’t start) ended up jumping the solenoid and it ran fine for a little
  • changed the solenoid and now only turning over if solenoid is being jumped but won’t start, no lights at all when this happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am having him start his own discussion about this issue later tonight so he can explain it better. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
OK - Ill look for his thread.

Communicating a problem by third party is even more difficult, but.............

If it will crank the engine when the solenoid is jumped, then the problem is in the connections. One of the biggest mistakes made when a solenoid is changed is to put the system power wire(s) on the starter motor side of the solenoid instead of the battery lead side. So, that a thing to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts