Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like to thank everyone who responds to maintenance issues for members. I have read many post before becoming a member and fixed many issues. Thanks again!

So my issue:
I have a 2 stroke 95 Sportsman 400 4x4 that pushes out a ton of white smoke. I completed a top end rebuild with new OEM head gasket. Still just as much smoke, no change. I am running Shell high grade fuel with a Lucas SMOKELESS oil 40:1. The previous owner told me to mix gas and bypass oil pump. The oil pump is currently all intact but empty. I also cleaned the carb and added a small amount of Lucas fuel treatment to fuel mixture. So I'm thinking water pump seal(s)? The coolant overflow bottle was previously cracked and attempted to seal with some type of black sealer. It is also missing a cap and has tape over the lid, the overflow is currently empty. I have not noticed the coolant level lowering. However, I have not rode it a ton due to the smoking.

Could the oil pump be working and pumping extra air into fuel mixture? Also if it is a water pump seal which one and how difficult is it to replace.

You guys Rock! Thanks Again.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If the oil tank is empty then it's not pumping oil and it won't have any effect at all on anything. Did you replace the cylinder base gasket along with the head gasket? Otherwise, water pump is your only other option and I would just do the whole thing so you don't have another problem in the near future. Also you need to replace the overflow bottle.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: I love the name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did replace the base gasket also. How difficult is the water pump rebuild on this model? Does the case need cracked or engine removed?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That really doesn't look that bad for a two stroke of that era. Looks like its pretty cold out too, that will make for more noticeable exhaust too. It's run it a while and keep an eye on the coolant level adder you replace to bottle and get the system sealed up properly.

·
12,002 Posts
I'm with Ridinagain, don't look bad at all for a 2 smoke on a cold day and without the engine good and hot. I'd get the system buttoned up properly and ride it like you stole it for a while but keep a close eye on everything. Oh yeah, and to my knowledge there isn't really any such thing as "smokeless" 2 stroke oil. Some smoke less than others but they all smoke. Sorta like "smokeless" gun powder...it isn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's good to hear. It was around 20 degrees the day of the video. I bought this four wheeler to use for deer hunting, not the best choice. The entire woods smells like exhaust by the time I get to my tree stand. At least I don't get bothered by bugs for the first half hour! Unfortunately I don't see any deer either!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You just need to ride it in the hunting area more so the deer get accustomed to the scent and noise. Then they will just think you're a cloud of smoke in a tree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally pulled the motor. It's cracked! If you buy a older used 400 check this area of the motor. I guess its a common place for failure. The case has been welded and completely rebuilt. Ready to go back in. The mosquitoes will be happier this year!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That really doesn't look that bad for a two stroke of that era. Looks like its pretty cold out too, that will make for more noticeable exhaust too. It's run it a while and keep an eye on the coolant level adder you replace to bottle and get the system sealed up properly.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read your post and watched the vid..... Looks about right for a 2 stroke/smoke that has 19+ years of experiance on the trails.

You just need to ride it in the hunting area more so the deer get accustomed to the scent and noise. Then they will just think you're a cloud of smoke in a tree.
This is also what I have always been told.... get them accustomed to the smell and noise..... and it will be another day at the park!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have only ran several tanks of gas through the motor since it has been completely rebuilt and yet another issue. I was checking all the fluids and noticed the counterbalance oil low (possibly empty). I refilled it and noticed it began leaking out just a small amount then stopped. I assume I overfilled it and it just came out an overflow? Several days later I started it and ALL the counterbalance oil came out the bottom of the motor! Any ideas where it could be coming from and what would cause this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts