Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 95 Trail Boss 250 that I got from a friend after it quit starting. I did a comp check and it was at 50 psi, so I had it bored to 73mm and put a new Wiseco top end in it. I got it all back together and she fired right up, but I have only run it for about a minute. I am wondering what the proper break in procedure would be for it. Should I add some oil to the gas so it is extra rich and just ride it, or let the oil pump work and just ride it. I have the service manual but it doesnt cover break in.
And help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Every two stroke I have ever owned I ran two tanks of gas with extra oil in it so that I made sure it would be well lubricated. It cant really hurt it will just make more blue smoke which is what it is supposed to be doing and a clue that it working properly.

vary your speeds up and down and avoid holding the revs at one speed for two long until its a little more used.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I mixed up 2 gallons of 50:1 and put it in the tank to use for break in. I started it up and backed it out of the shop with no issues, a little extra smoke from the fuel and from the assembly lube. It died while sitting and I couldnt get it refired...I thought the worst, maybe lost compression, washed the rings, etc. I went to pull the plug, ha, I had forgot i turned the fuel on. WHEW. It runs great when it is getting fuel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Avoid idling for more than 20-30seconds, it heats up things and glazes the surfaces. Just go slow, stay below 1/2-2/3 throttle for about the first tank and try not making the engine work, I liked going for trips around the block(4 miles)all the while speeding up, then slowing down, repeat. By the end of the first tank I'd start giving it more gas and revving it higher, but dropping down shortly. Then start running it normal with the second tank, but still have oil added.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts