Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Here's the scenario. I have a 95 polaris xplorer 400 2 stroke. It won't idle for more than 5-10 sec and when I give it throttle is will bog and die. Sometimes it will backfire. Takes a while to start again, gotta help it with the starter until it starts to fire.

This is what I have done to troubleshoot.

- pulled carb, tore down, soaked overnight and cleaned with air compressor.
- installed new reed valves (old ones looked good but figure since I am in there, good time to do it)
- new air cleaner
- new plug
- new fuel filter
- adjusted air screw from all the way in to 2 full turns out, very little effect
- tried with choke, without choke, worse with choke, usally won't fire then
- when I had it running and 1/4-1/2 throttle, pressed the reverse override, no difference
- fresh 89 octane fuel
- tank had some junk in it and did my best to clean it out before putting in new fuel
- added a little isopropyl heet
- covered air intake, no difference
- shot carb cleaner into air intake, seems to flood then

One thing I tried was to eliminate the fuel supply. I noticed that with fuel petcock on, slight trickle, reserve gave better flow but not as much as I was expecting. I pulled my tank and hose off my lawn tractor and bypassed atv fuel line and filter and ran it straight from the mower tank to the carb without a fuel filter. That fuel flow is significantly better than coming from the atv tank. This is how I got the most difference in idling, but it still bogs at half throttle and eventually kills. I can get it to idle for longer periods (20-30 secs) and it idles smoother with the mower gas tank connected.

It does seem to smoke more than usual.

Don't know if this is related or not but coincidently, the problems started after this happened. One of the pipe springs popped off on the exhaust manifold and the pipe slid off the jug. I got it back on and replaced the spring. I did start it with the pipe off the jug and this problem was present before reconnecting pipe to jug.

About 2 months ago I brought it in to get serviced because it quit running. Mechanic told me there was water in the tank, lines and carb. They cleaned it and it ran fine after that. 450.00 later. I am trying to avoid that kinda of bill again.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would check your compression! Never run the machine with out the pipe hooked up, as this will cause a lean condition and possible engine damage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It should have 110 pounds to run properly. I would assume the rest of the motor is okay. Sounds like you need the cylinder bored and a top end kit. We can bore your cylinder and we do stock all the parts. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call 651-340-1129.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I rechecked the compression with a new guage and it's 120 PSI. So I began working on spark and found that I didn't have any. Swapped out CDI unit, ignition coil/plug wire with a buddies and spark came around and then swapped my old parts back. We also pulled the black lead on the CDI which disables override and stop switch. Spark was better, but it still having problems starting. won't idle, bogs, sometimes backfires. We also swapped carbs with the same net effect. I sprayed carb cleaner on the intake between carb and jug, didn't notice any difference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 1996 xplorer 400 and i have almost the exact same problem. mine is intermitent and when it boggs and dies the key switch or the run switch will not kill the engine. when the kill switches work it runs great if they dont same problem you describe. almost seems like a bad connection somewhere or cdi unit??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem, I found it to be the RPM limiter located above the CDI box. The machine would barely idle and when I gave it throttle it would sound like it was starving for air and sometimes stall, but yet it would start right back up. The only way I found this was when it was barely running I moved this limiter looking for some sort of short, it cleared up and started running great. I cleaned all the connections and wedged something behind the limiter and it ran fine until it finally quit. I replaced the limiter and it has run excellent since. I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but I sure hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts