Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I have a 95 Xplorer 4x4, 2 cycle, that I bought used and it ran great for about 5 years. Suddenly, it would not hold an idle. It starts great and runs great to this day. But, it won't start cold and hold an idle. However, if I start it and keep it on choke to warm up... then put a load on the engine (i.e. run it full out for about a 1/2 mile... flipping off the manual choke after the first 50 yards) it will begin to idle just fine and run for hours. I've had it to the polaris dealer twice (i.e. replaced the throttle assmbly and cable, tune up, etc.) and to an independent (found a tear in the carb. boot), but this has not fixed the problem. It will not idle from a cold start nor if I have run it for a while then shut it off for a few minutes. I've rebuilt the carborator and cleaned it numerous times to no avail. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. FYI, the polaris dealer has said it has very good compression for its age and is mechanically very sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
compression is good, carb is clean, all is great but it still won't idle cold. tough one but i'd try upping the pilot jet one size and tuning the mixture screw accordingly. dunno, that's one i'd like to have in the shop to try and fix. sounds fun

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I agree,you may have a partially plugged PILOT jet. while you have the carb. off and are cleaning it, you may want to look at the float needle for any signs of wear,one that has wear will cause idle problems,and difficulty in getting the air-mix screw adjusted properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All, its been a long time... but, I have finally fixed this complex problem with the idle. Basically, the crankshaft was out of alignment and caused the seals to ware... also cause problems with the bearings. I performed a complete engine rebuild (first time doing this). I had help from a knowledgable friend who helped me split the crank case. He measued the trueness of the crackshaft, finding it was out of alignment, and re-aligned it for me. I re-assembled the crankcase with new bearings and seals. Also, I replaced the piston since I found the piston skirt was cracked. When I broke down the engine, I found rust and dirty oil in the water pump/counter-balancer compartment and also in the electric rotor/stator compartment. I cleaned this all out.

I had some other "findings" along the way of puttig it all back together. I rebuilt the card again with a Moose Kit... but, this time I also bought a new float arm and pin... I noticed that gas was not consistently flowing into the carb (by watching the gas in the clear gas filter while running it).

Also, I could not figure out the vent lines from the carb, crank case and transmission... oh yes, they are VENT lines and not vacuum lines. A private small engine shop I had look at this years ago thought they were vacuum lines and actually vented the crank case vent to the carb... this made the engine run very poorly... much research revealed that these are just vent lines and should either hang down or be tied up high... but not connected on the other end.

The machine is running great now! I ran it around our township for 3 hours in a snow storm the other night and plowed with it yesterday (I have a nice polaris v-shaped plow). Thanks for all you inputs. I decided to do a rebuild as "learning" experience and it was absolutely the right thing to do. i took my time over several months (and having to order special tools)... but the result is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts