Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running for 45 to 50 minutes, my engine quits like it was out of gas but after about 15 minutes, it will start and run fine. I had the carb reworked at the local polaris dealer a coupla months ago. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
is your cooling system full? that is my first guess. sounds like something is getting too hot and the machine is shutting itself down to protect itself

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
when it quits do you check to see if it's getting a spark or gas??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its getting spark, I'm pretty sure. Gas Not so sure. Kinda like somethings I've seen that the fuel was vaporizing somewhere then when things cooled off a bit it was fine
i had a new fan installed that has a switch I can turn off and on as needed.Maybe i need to leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Run it till it quits, take off air cleaner and spray a little starting fluid into the carb while starting. This will tell you if it is a fuel problem. If it starts:

Make sure your tank is clean, there is a tube screen in the bottom that connects to the petcock. You may want to take the petcock off (2 bolts) and check that out. There is also an inline filter from the fuel pump to the carb, check that as well. Check all lines running to the fuel pump and back down to the carb. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
while checking all that

found that the cam was worn (a notorious problem with this engine) so i was getting the compression i need. waiting for a new cam now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yeah I know, but I was hoping that it wouldn't be your problem. Are you going with an 500HO cam?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts