Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 500
This is the old style where fan motor mounts to a bracket.
96-98 I believe

My fan blade is loose on the shaft.
NO shaft play on the motor. Motor and shaft are good.....the fan is simply not real snug onto the shaft. Not a huge deal...just some play so when fan shuts off.....just before it stops spinning it wiggles and obviously causes some clanking....but not enough movement to make contact with radiator or anything. Just obnoxious movement on the shaft.
I've removed the 4 screws holding the motor bracket and was able to wiggle the whole assembly out far enough to get a 11/32 wrench on the end nut holding the fan onto the shaft and feels snug. So I"m guessing must be a rubber/plastic washer that's on the back side of the fan agains the shaft that's maybe a bit worn?

Anyhow, was going to pull the whole thing out, but for the life of me could figure out no way to get that whole assembly pulled out.

Is that something that requires tearing into from the front? As in bumper, plastic, radiator etc??
sounds like a real PIA if that's the case.

any input appreciated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If your 500 is any thing like my 96 400, then you'll have to pull the bumper and I'm pretty sure the front rack. Once those are out, you should be and to pull the two bolts holding the radiator in at the top. On the bottom of the radiator there should be two little posts that sit in grommets to hold it in place. Lift it out of those and up over the lip that the bumper bolts to and you should have room to get the fan out, bracket and all.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with a Magnum, but from looking at the parts breakdown they look nearly identical. I'd say that what I wrote above would get you about 90-95% of the way there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
PIA doesn't quite describe this endeavor. Any tips on removing the front rack and/or bumper? I'm not sure if these 2 bolt at the bottom are holding the bumper on or something behind it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There are probably 2 body bolts holding it to the frame at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well that was quite a journey. Never taken all that stuff off before. I was able to put a washer on the front of my fan blade shaft and tighten it down. It should hold until it breaks again, haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts