Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 Magnum 425 2x4 just the other day. Everything was in great condition, the wheels and tires were fine. The plastics only had two cracks, one under the seat when you took it off, and another on the right side to the back. We checked all the fluids, put in some coolant and tranny fluid, oil was fine, everything else was fine. This quad was used for food plots, was barely ridden over the years and used a few times for hunting. I have been riding it pretty hard, taking it through trails, in the mud, water, and other thick stuff. The chain guard came loose and you could hear it rattling and bumping every time the chain came around. The chain also has a lot of slack in it because we had two people riding together and riding it through trails put alot of pressure on the chain and loosened it up some. How do I go about tightening the chain? I've read on other forums, and even other websites that you need to loosen up the bolts and roll it back to tighten up the chain, and I keep coming across "1/4 in slack." I don't know much about atv's and repairing/maintaining them so any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
loosen rear cinch bolts. you can put a punch thru a hole in sprocket into eccentric and roll it or you can get a large pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench and just turn eccentric, rear axle housing, just get chain snug, not tight, your 1/4 or 1/2 inch of slack will be fine, protector is held on by 2 bolts, can adjust it too once chain is tightened., .

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've seen a YouTube video of a guy tightening his magnums chain. though it was the front chain not the rear chain. the concept might be similar though? I don't really know though I just let the dealership tighten them when i bring mine in for a yearly tuneup.

the owners manual would also say how to tighten the chain.

also not to derail this topic but how many chains do these machines have? if SwampRats 4x2 has 2 chains besides the rear drive chain does this mean my machine has 5 chains? that is a lot of chain XD where are these other 2 chains located exactly???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually found that same video today while working on mine. It didn't help me much. The previous owner actually welded the arm on the rear to the frame so I can't pull the back end any.

I've been looking everywhere for a manual for my model since I didn't get one with it, and can't find one anywhere. A few places are asking to pay but I'll keep looking.

The chain guard we took care of, but the chain itself has so much play in it that it's only a matter of time until it comes off again. I'll probably put a whole new chain on it at that point, and replace the front sprocket because it's missing almost all it's teeth. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts