Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through many threads, but I can't seem to nail down all my questions on this subject. Any help would be appreciated.

1. I've see some of you folks are using Mobil full synthetic 0-40W for the engine oil. I'm assuming this would be ok in my 425 4 stroke?

2. I saw some owners were using oil filters other than Polaris, such as Wix 51358 or Napa 1358. However, I haven't seen this discussion relative to my year, make, model, engine etc. Are these the correct filters for mine? If not, any recommendations?

3. Looks like it's unanimous that I should not use anything but genuine Polaris transmission fluid. Correct? If not any acceptable substitues?

4. Can I use regular Prestone (yellow/green) antifreeze, mixed 50/50 with distilled water in the cooling system? ( I know some cars require a different type of coolant) If not, is there some acceptable substitute I can buy at the local auto parts store?

Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
1) yes

2)wix filter Part Number: 51358
napa filter Part Number: PS1358
i personally like Hiflo filters and that is a HF303

3)recommend you stick with the Polaris AGL fluid. deal is, nobody really knows what exactly AGL is, as polaris has never released that to even its dealers for this reason, you have to buy the polaris oil to be sure its the right stuff. put anything else in there and you are running a very expensive risk.

4)yes, should be fine. just look on the bottle of the other coolants to make sure it is listed as an Ethylene glycol based coolant. polaris recommends a 60/40 mix but a 50/50 mix shouldnt give you any problems either

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
good deal. just a few things to remember.

0w-40 synthetic is key when getting engine oil. avoid putting in 10w-40 just because it is easier to find. the only time i would put in 10w-40 is if you were low and or had an oil leak. otherwise, i think dirty 0w-40 is better then fresh 10w-40 until you can get the right weight.

and on coolant...get yourself a tester for the freezing point of it. anything between 60/40 and 50/50 should be okay, but it is always wise to verify that your freezing point of your coolant is way below what temps are to be expected through the winter. if you need to lower the freezing point of your coolant ad more straight coolant, get the motor up to temp so it mixes in again, and then retest. a cracked block is very expensive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am familiar with Mobil's 0-40w as I use it in one of my vehicles. I do have a tester for the coolant, and it indicated it was good down to -34 degrees. However, I purchased this ATV approx 3 years ago, and it has 1322 hrs on it and I have no idea when all the fluids were last changed. The oil looks a little dirty, and although the coolant checks out, I'm more concerned with it's age loosing it's anticorrosive quality etc. Other wise, the unit appears to be in great shape.
Thanks,
Gene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts