Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's a heads up for you early model SP 500 owners...

I ordered a 3-light mod and Rev. Override Eliminator mod from a respectable vendor the other day. It was raining yesterday so I finally got to install them, but ran into a little snag. The 3-light mod worked awesome (BIG improvement by the way), but the other kit gave me fits.

It seems, on anything over a '96 model, there is a grey/ orange stripe wire in the loom for the reverse override button that controls the rev limiter. This wire is NOT that color on a '96 model machine. The wire you need to remove is GREEN, and goes from the yellow button to the ETC terminal on the board under the hood. No need to cut the wire, just remove it and tape the end.

Anyway, just wanted to get this out there, so someone else doesn't spend half an afternoon hunting for the right wire to pull like I did. Was a major PITA. It was worth the effort, but still wasn't any fun chasing wires all over he!!. I notified the manufacturer (who was VERY helpful), and he said he'd put a note in the instructions for his kit so there wouldn't be problems in the future.

Oh, and after I bought and paid for this kit (which is just two wires and a diode), I found a guy on eBay selling a similar kit for $5 shipped!! I forgot who he is, but you can find him with a search pretty easy. Woulda' saved me some dollars if i'd found it a few days earlier!!

Hope this helps somebody! :beerchug:

-J

·
Registered
421 Posts
3 light mod is. the polaris have the 3 head lights. 2 lower ones in the grill for low beam. and the headlight pod for high beam. the mod allows you to use all three in high and just the low for low beam. all it is is a diode...

over ride mod. is so you dont have to use the yellow button for awd in reverse, and so you can go at full speed. this is done by either a toggle switch to turn it on and off, or you can use a relay to have it come on automaticly in revese.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if its a newer sportsman i can give you how to wire it. save ya some money. but than again an older sportsman you only have to find the 2 wires. and run them to a switch or add a switch and tap into those 2 wires. save $15

same with the head light mod. its just a 6amp diode. get it at radio shack for like $1.

·
Registered
421 Posts
shoot ill start doing the kits my self and start to sell them and charge like $10 for either kit. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
if its a newer sportsman i can give you how to wire it. save ya some money. but than again an older sportsman you only have to find the 2 wires. and run them to a switch or add a switch and tap into those 2 wires. save $15

same with the head light mod. its just a 6amp diode. get it at radio shack for like $1.

I would like to do the 3 headlight mod. What wires do you need to find? Send me a PM please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my three light mod for my 02 sportsman off e bay cost five bucks came with instructions, wire and taps to do the job. very simple, nice mod wouldnt want it any other way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys, a warning on the 3 headlight mod...when you use this simple diode setup, you are drawing all that additional current through the high beam wire. I just use the high beam wire as a switching wire to close a relay and draw the power for the lower lights directly from the battery. When done this way, the low beams operate normally and when on high all three are lit and you are not overtaxing the high beam circut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 Polaris sportsman 500 4x4 that when revs up acts like the rev limited is knockin out in all gears and has no power to go anywhere try overriding the override switch but still at the same spot some please help

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, here's a heads up for you early model SP 500 owners...

It seems, on anything over a '96 model, there is a grey/ orange stripe wire in the loom for the reverse override button that controls the rev limiter. This wire is NOT that color on a '96 model machine. The wire you need to remove is GREEN, and goes from the yellow button to the ETC terminal on the board under the hood. No need to cut the wire, just remove it and tape the end.

Anyway, just wanted to get this out there, so someone else doesn't spend half an afternoon hunting for the right wire to pull like I did. Was a major PITA. It was worth the effort, but still wasn't any fun chasing wires all over he!!. I notified the manufacturer (who was VERY helpful), and he said he'd put a note in the instructions for his kit so there wouldn't be problems in the future.

Hope this helps somebody! :beerchug:

-J
Glad I found this;
I have a 96'
I had the gray/white wire which I just cut and jumped it over to 12v ign.
But spent a couple minutes looking for the gray/org and wondering if I was color blind.
Found your bit here, and pulled the green wire. Hope all is well now.
My AWD if showing active now in fwd and reverse since I jumped the gray/white, now just gotta wait till tomorrow to fire the thing up and confirm that the green wire was the rev limiter.

BTW, I love how this model has that wiring board there with a 12v ign, 12v constant, and a full ground bar. Makes running new lines a breeze. And piece of cake for wiring in reverse light. I used a SPDT rocker switch for that:
Ground the light, then bring 12v+ lead of light to center of rocker.
Run 1 side of rocker to 12v constant and the other side of rocker to the 12v reverse power bar. BOOM DONE! now I can either switch the backup light on when I shift in reverse, keep it on full time, or turn it off all together:):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts